Can you beat DX without augmentations or upgrading skills?

Discussion about the original game by Ion Storm. Also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Can you beat DX without augmentations or upgrading skills?

Postby SticksAndStones » Tue Oct 31, 23 2:08 am

Hey folks,

Wanted to share with you all a video I made a few weeks back trying to beat DX without installing any augmentations or upgrading skills. Obviously this is possible, but it is not the destination it is the journey that is important.

DX means a lot to me, as I have no doubt it does all of you; so to sit down, play, script, edit and put this together is my way of paying homage to this incredible game.

I'm not here begging for likes, subs or whatever, I just wanted to share my video with the DX community, so it does not get lost in all the other obscure content on YT.

Mods, if this ain't allowed then feel free to delete my post, kick me out, whatever you need to.

youtu. be/82U7P1cm9MI

I'd love to revisit DX again for more challenge stuff, so if you guys have any ideas... throw them my way.
SticksAndStones

Re: Can you beat DX without augmentations or upgrading skill

Postby Notorious_BOG » Thu Jan 04, 24 2:50 am

I was thinking this the other day. You can beat the whole game going pacifist. There is one part of the game that you need to have computer skills leveled up once. That's at the templars chapel when you have to upload the UC information over to Tracer Tong. I don't think you can find the code to that computer, so you do need to have the skill up once. But that's about it.
Notorious_BOG

Postby Kaiden » Fri Jan 05, 24 5:04 am

I think you "have to" kill at least Anna Navarre, maybe others, although no doubt can exploit around it given the age.

(Apparently there's 3 characters you have no choice but to kill).
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Notorious_BOG » Fri Jan 05, 24 9:48 pm

Kaiden wrote:I think you "have to" kill at least Anna Navarre, maybe others, although no doubt can exploit around it given the age.

(Apparently there's 3 characters you have no choice but to kill).

Who are the 3? All I can think of is Ann Navarro and Bob page. Was it that you have to kill Gunther too?
Notorious_BOG

Postby Kaiden » Thu Jan 11, 24 4:28 am

Thread from like 2006 was below I had a quick look at, not too sure on the others either as going back a while.

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/deus-ex-is-it-possible-to-go-totally-nonlethal-spoilers.243439/

Who knows if the below is true but could be, I wouldn't be surprised if was at least 3 that had to die in encounters though.

I've spoken with Warren Spector about this. According to him, you can go totally nonlethal except for, I believe, three spots in the game that require you to kill someone.

He considered that a weakness in the game design, and he seemed genuinely regretful that the game didn't provide other ways around those three encounters.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Notorious_BOG » Fri Jan 12, 24 3:41 am

So Paul, Gunther and Anne from the sound of it.

Some one said they had only 5 max from that thread
Notorious_BOG

Postby Notorious_BOG » Sat Jan 27, 24 3:36 am

So I played through some of the game again. I got to the chapel where you have to kill gunther. But it looks like you can just get away with not killing if you have invisibility. I was able to upload the information to Morgan everette through the computer and get out of the chapel without killing gunther. Technically the only people I kill are Anna Navaro, Bob Page (x-51 you don't save him). But that's it. I can't find out who the third person is. The only thing I can think of is Paul Denton if you don't save him assuming you go pacifist route
Notorious_BOG

Return to Deus Ex