Character Analysis: Sam Carter

Discussion about the original game by Ion Storm. Also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Character Analysis: Sam Carter

Postby Clancy Stein » Sun Oct 27, 13 10:28 pm

He served as a general for some operation I think was called Mersetti. Although he used to be a general he was kept around at UNATCO as a mere quartermaster.

From what I could observe, he was fairly patriotic tho not completely oblivious. He had moral principles rare in the minds of typical generals but present in the minds of the greatest.

And yet, he still seems in some way afflicted. They made it so subtle, but it's as though having gone through the drilling of military indoctrination, Carter was ever so slightly brainwashed.
Last edited by Clancy Stein on Sun Oct 27, 13 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby clyzm » Sun Oct 27, 13 10:30 pm

Merced I think it was

Yeah it's strange, I don't know how he was so patriotic. One minute you learn the NSF slaughtered his family, the next he's chastising you for being too ... "enthusiastic" at Castle Clinton. I guess the man's morals are on another level. I'd characterize him as Lawful Good
Last edited by clyzm on Sun Oct 27, 13 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Hanover Fist » Sun Oct 27, 13 10:37 pm

Theres always those convos you encounter between unatco troops questioning the way things are done. My favorite was between Berry and Collins after Pauls defection. Berry says the structure is like a pyramid where compliance from the bottom is "implicit". Collins argued that the bottom is the base and should logically be most important than the top.

Idk if anyone remembers that convo
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Sun Oct 27, 13 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Sun Oct 27, 13 10:38 pm

He was, up until the moment UNATCO started firing the original members left and right.

He understood what JC was doing but wanted no part of it, likely because it meant a radical change in what he was told to believe for so many years.

Had Carter not been fired I do not think he'd have shown up at all. Being ignorant is a lot easier than realizing that the "truth" you've been fed by your own government was a lie all this time. That you're not working for the people, but against them. It wouldn't be easy to come to grips with such a concept.

The unfortunate side is that that is the point. You're not supposed to question, nor are you supposed to rebel, and many people do not want to, despite knowing deep-down the truth to be a lot more sinister.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Oct 28, 13 3:31 am

but why did he say he was thrown out and then retract that by saying things were so had he finally had to leave? Maybe that was just his BS story to Savage in email
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Mon Oct 28, 13 6:00 am

He's not being contradictory, he had to leave. He was being forcibly removed from service. UNATCO were forcing him to leave, and it was at that point he came to terms with the reality of UNATCO's betrayal.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Mr357 » Mon Oct 28, 13 5:10 pm

I always loved talking to Carter. The voice acting was perfect if you ask me, and he always had something sensible to say. His level of modesty, however, is what really made him a well designed character.

"In my day international peacekeepers were citizens first and soldiers second."
Mr357

Return to Deus Ex