"James, are videogames nerdy?"

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

"James, are videogames nerdy?"

Postby James » Tue Aug 11, 09 8:32 am

Max, some say they've completely geeky since the departure of cheap 16 bit games my friend! Is it a bad thing?, not really.

Gaming is so popular these days that entertainment and geeky have rolled into one big pile of mash, WRPGs are now huge, artistically vibrant and maintaining a fun that was missing from older games while simple shooter games now have toy, novels, comics and in-game item swag. Gaming is officially bigger than the movie business right now, in response to this the video gaming industry is cashing in by embracing nerd culture.

While some might argue that if you don't play sports, racing and simple flash video games you're a geek to a minority, despite most forms of video gaming are perfectly normal. I have a real life friend who I knew only plays Pro Evolution has been playing JRPGs (Sudoiken, Star Ocean, Chrono Cross etc) for a long time as well, as a non-guilty pleasure. It's just normal to play video games now as a source for entertainment may it be you're physically knackered, disabled, can't be bothered to go out, enjoy it immensely, afraid of the streets and oh my god so many excuses it's just normal okay? Look at the Wii, old people playing it for Christ Sakes.

We're also at the end of a generation of nostalgia of the last 100 years that have passed, old fashion popping up, modern architecture scrapped for retro, landmarks for pop culture, furniture brought back, trends and this of course includes video games. Look at the downloadable videogames on STEAM/XBL/PSN, the videogame sequels being released these last few years in the vein of the older games and the on going nods such as the MGS1 segment in MGS4. People are revisiting videogames in nostalgia to play the videogames they played within the last 25+ years too.

Videogames are not nerdy Max, the players and developers can be.
Last edited by James on Thu Aug 13, 09 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue Aug 11, 09 1:41 pm

Max u a fgt
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Return to Gaming and Technology