Bioshock Infinite

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 2:36 am

Are game norms that much looser? Games are more complex, yes, but there are still requirements for a game to be labelled a game; a definition can only stretch so far. No matter how pseudo-deep a game wants to get, it will always have a player character of some sort, controls, progression...hopefully entertainment.

I'm not really understanding what else you're trying to say soooo...

I've talked about this enough, but this applies how I feel about the whole 'art game' thing to a real world example.
[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=AiyOqPAdBJg[/youtube]
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 2:37 am

Lol Jake we should just copy and paste our art debate in here.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 2:49 am

This is fucking great, make some more topics before this momentum peters out again!
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 3:00 am

Tantalus wrote:I've talked about this enough, but this applies how I feel about the whole 'art game' thing to a real world example.

im gonna do u a fav and ignore that u brought fez into the topic

Tantalus wrote:player character of some sort

age of empires

Tantalus wrote: controls

well, yeah. a vehicle also requires controls. there's a world of difference between a bike and a plane.

Tantalus wrote:progression

again, it varies wildly

Tantalus wrote:I'm not really understanding what else you're trying to say soooo...

games are fucking art not tables
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 3:12 am

Protocol wrote:games are fucking art not tables

Last edited by Aidan on Sun May 05, 13 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 3:27 am

Aidan wrote:
Protocol wrote:games are fucking art not tables

thx for proving my point
//..
Siva

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 3:35 am

Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 3:47 am

i swer 2 god

//..
Siva

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 3:48 am

Yeah man, I'm feeling a table forum.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 3:51 am

once when i was a kid i decided to invent some slang so i replaced the word cool with table

it caught on and i promptly stopped
//..
Siva

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 4:32 am

Haha, that's hilarious. If you kept it going it could have advanced to hash tags man.
Last edited by Aidan on Sun May 05, 13 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 4:36 am

to think there was a time when humanity didnt have hashtags

i mean wtf did we do in hashtag moments

i sense the thread will be cleaned up at sum point
Last edited by Siva on Sun May 05, 13 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
//..
Siva

Postby Psychotic » Sun May 05, 13 4:59 am

Tantalus wrote:It's good to talk about it. Just agreeing to disagree gets nothing done; although it does detract HUGELY from the original post.

Of course it's good to disagree and debate about things, don't you think I, of all people, know that?

However, there are certain debates which don't tend to get anywhere. This is one of them.

So debate your discussions, question their answers, but ultimately I've found that art is subjective in all areas. I say games can exhibit art but they do not have to be artwork themselves, some disagree.

Even if a general consensus was made and someone made video games an official form of art what would they actually accomplish? It's not in a games nature to be seen as a piece of art. I believe you cannot make a game that is also a piece of art in and of itself because then it defies the very definition of a game, but one can and certainly does exhibit art.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 5:18 am

Art is a liquid term and thus hard to pinpoint a direct meaning on. We are all wrong AND right.

There.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Clancy Stein » Sun May 05, 13 6:38 am

When it comes to controls it needs to be intuitive. If you can play a game seamlessly, you are no longer just a captovated audience, you are a character in this illusory universe constructed in part by its architect but the depth of it COMPLETED by your imagination and immersion.

It is an experience.

Edit: cellphone typos too lazy to correct
Last edited by Clancy Stein on Sun May 05, 13 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby Psychotic » Sun May 05, 13 8:53 am

Aidan wrote:Art is a liquid term and thus hard to pinpoint a direct meaning on. We are all wrong AND right.

There.

I already said that but blah, whatever.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 9:51 am

Protocol wrote:im gonna do u a fav and ignore that u brought fez into the topic

Why? It's a pretentious faux-artsy pos made by a dick.

Protocol wrote:age of empires

A disembodied omnipresent God-like character with little explanation - still a player character.

Protocol wrote:well, yeah. a vehicle also requires controls. there's a world of difference between a bike and a plane.

Vehicles also can't be art under this definition.

Tantalus wrote:progression

In what events happen, but there's always a beginning, middle and end narrative or linear progression to player actions.

Tantalus wrote:I'm not really understanding what else you're trying to say soooo...

Still applies.

Also,

Protocol and Aidan wrote: TABLES.JPG

MFW you just proved my point with tables that are coerced into having a flat surface for HOLDING THINGS. Think of the playing part of a game as that flat surface, it's a design constraint that prevents it from being 'unhinged'.
Last edited by Tantalus on Sun May 05, 13 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 12:03 pm

Tantalus wrote:MFW you just proved my point with tables that are coerced into having a flat surface for HOLDING THINGS. Think of the playing part of a game as that flat surface, it's a design constraint that prevents it from being 'unhinged'.

Then please, listen when I say this because I aint gonna repeat myself again, you aint even readin what i'm sayin at this point

the table requiring flatness is a much, much harder constraint to work with without compromising functionality if you want to incorporate art into the composition of the table, rather than a game. to make it as simple the analogy itself is shit, and if the basis of your argument is this analogy then i had it right the first time

Tantalus wrote:Why? It's a pretentious faux-artsy pos made by a dick.

which is exactly why it has no place in this discussion. i am trying to explain to you that good games are the ones that achieve both game and art status without sacrificing their own identity. if you take the art out of super metroid and replace it with something lesser the entire experience suffers, i wont suffer that to be denied
Last edited by Siva on Sun May 05, 13 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 1:01 pm

I'm saying that a table cannot be art, read above for reasons why. Attempts at giving it an artistic element don't make it art; it's not art in itself, it's a table with artistic elements to it.

A game is not art because it has to be a game. Its restrictions are not looser, any restrictions kill art. There are NO restrictions with a canvas, it's a surface designed to have something impressed on to it. There are no restrictions with music, music can be freaking wacky, unlistenable, messy, loud, a mixture of everyday sounds looped, or complete silence. That doesn't necessarily make it inherently good, what is GOOD art is subjective. The primary point is: stop confusing art with inherent goodness. Which brings me on to Super Metroid:

WHAT ART IN SUPER METROID?! It's a wonderful game, but just because it's fun, engaging, spooky at times, tight in controls doesn't make it art. The atmosphere and design of Columbia in Bioshock Infinite is orchestrated brilliantly, but it's not art for that reason. As James has said, suggesting games can be art draws away from the significant objectives of games: entertainment, joy, engagement, 'controllability'. It's a non-issue. Calling games art contradicts the definition of art, and flies in the face of games as entertainment at the same time. Stop focusing on trying to 'elevate' games to some higher status, because it'll only drag it through the gutter.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 1:17 pm

Tantalus wrote:I'm saying that a table cannot be art

Tantalus wrote:table cannot be art

Tantalus wrote:WHAT ART IN SUPER METROID?!

WOW SO SUPER METROID IS A TEXT BASED ADVENTURE!? HOLY SHIT
and even it were i would still be right motherfucker
Last edited by Siva on Sun May 05, 13 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
//..
Siva

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 3:38 pm

You keep just showing that picture, and that picture still proves my point. I'm saying the same thing ad nauseum.

Super Metroid's graphics MAY have artistic elements when in isolation. BUT it's not art when used for another purpose: PLAYING A GAME.

How are you not getting this? Are you even reading anymore?

Still, that's a damn nice looking table. Not art, mind you, but nice.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 8:25 pm

//..
Siva

Postby clyzm » Sun May 05, 13 9:25 pm

Jake so you think this isn't art

I'm guessing you probably also think this isn't art

It's just a bowling pin with artistic elements

Log that fell over in the woods with artistic elements

Piece of paper with artistic elements copied from another piece of paper

Come on son
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Sun May 05, 13 10:44 pm

Actually, I'd argue the last one isn't art in and of itself.

A lot of people classify drawings as artwork and I can see why (they generally try to replicate nature or evoke someone's senses) but go look on deviantART and tell me how many of the drawings or photographs are simply what they are: drawings and photographs.

Just because you created it does not make it art, but just because it's a creation does not mean it can't be art.

My definition of art has always been that of the less technical. Art and design share many principles but one is less about the function and more about the work itself and it's potential meaning (art). The other is about creating something that has a set purpose.

You don't design art but you do design a video game, but the style and themes used in a video game can be just as artistic as in other forms. But the game itself is not, and find game -art- highly misleading.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 11:21 pm

Magniir wrote:My definition of art has always been that of the less technical. Art and design share many principles but one is less about the function and more about the work itself and it's potential meaning (art). The other is about creating something that has a set purpose.

You don't design art but you do design a video game, but the style and themes used in a video game can be just as artistic as in other forms. But the game itself is not, and find game -art- highly misleading.

Pretty damn good explanation actually. I'm a bit more absolutist and extreme in it, but similar reasoning.

And Derek. Table nope, bowling pins nope, log maaaaaaaybe (although not amazing), picture representing a photo I dunno...maybe that scene had a specific significance to the drawer and they wanted to convey in a different light.

Bowling pins still have the same functional form as a regular bowling pin, if they were a bit more liberal with the design then I would possibly call that art.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Kaiden » Mon May 06, 13 12:24 am

Back on topic, apparently reviews are great and I've heard nothing but good things myself, look forward to playing it when I can afford it <:
Last edited by Kaiden on Mon May 06, 13 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Mon May 06, 13 8:42 am

The art conversation is more interesting than Bioshock Infinite tbh
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon May 06, 13 9:21 am

James wrote:The art conversation is more interesting than Bioshock Infinite tbh

I would rather talk about quantum mechanics and multiple-world theories than arguing over how you define something that has no true definition. This is why the English language has the words "subjective" and "objective", and these are what art is.

BioShock's story is more interesting than an age-old debate that we will never answer. Actually, now that I think about it, that's like most debates.

I just feel there's far more interesting topics to discuss. And I do mean discuss. Debating tends to be nothing more than a circle-jerk of opinions nowadays rather than a gathering of knowledge.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon May 06, 13 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Mon May 06, 13 10:12 am

I feel there's far too many plot holes and character inconsistency/stupidity that weakens the plot (and of the series) along with the execution of the concepts it explored. Which is surprising because it is even more flawed than the average time-travel story.

For me it's very insulting that the game's plot was dramatically altered within the last year of development and a lot of areas were rushed to be remade to reflect this.
Last edited by James on Mon May 06, 13 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Mon May 06, 13 3:01 pm

Magniir wrote:BioShock's story is more interesting than an age-old debate

Only on the surface, mate. Under scrutiny or even half decent criticism the cracks begin to show very quickly
//..
Siva

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology