Minecraft

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Oct 03, 11 8:42 pm

This isn't a good counterpoint;

"like the millions who have bought Minecraft and gave up on it... a bit of money wasted."

Everygame has that factor.

Everyone had the option of playing Classic for free, to get a taster of the actual game. Just like everyone has the option of downloading a demo for most AAA games. If you bought this game without thinking about it, you latched onto the hype without doing your research, and that is not the games fault, its the gamers fault.

If games were quantified on how objective they were, in terms of achievement or getting from A to B, completing missions etc, then Minecraft isn't a good game.

Minecraft has different potential, imagination plays a big part, but that's a good thing, there are plenty of games out there which require little thought, minecraft requires plenty of thought.

I rate games on re-playability, Left 4 Dead 2 comes close to being one of my top games for the very same reason.

It's easy to say this game ripped off Infiniminer, of course its true, but then everyone rips off everyone else's Intellectual property if they are given the opportunity, and then make money for it. I'm sure infiniminer would have a good case against MC and Notch if they were really that bothered, or more likely, they are proud of the progress MC has got in enhancing the original experience.

Anyway, finding MC servers is a pain in the ass. Everyone is a percentage of greifer, easy diamonds are just too tempting right?

I have found a decent one where protection isn't hard to pull off, whitelisting is easy (sign up to a forum and say "hey there" and you get whitelisted)

Sods law it's not stable ¬_¬
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 8:44 pm

MrBlackDX wrote:Everyone had the option of playing Classic for free, to get a taster of the actual game. Just like everyone has the option of downloading a demo for most AAA games. If you bought this game without thinking about it, you latched onto the hype without doing your research, and that is not the games fault, its the gamers fault.

Community hype up that bought version updates make 'classic' extremely shallow. Minecraft's popularity was given through word of mouth through experiences and community creations of popculture. Not many people who bought it stayed attached.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Oct 03, 11 8:52 pm

No one should buy a game based on hype, unless they are willing to admit dire consequences (if DX3 was absolute trash I would be devastated, I bought dx3 based on hype)

People should always do their research

I bought rollercoaster tycoon 3 yesterday, I played 1 and 2, I loved those games

I still went on wiki to check gameplay features, metacritic to check reviews, youtube to check gameplay trailers prior to buying it.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 03, 11 8:58 pm

~þsÿçhø~ wrote:I know there's a massive buzz about minecraft from the english kids in college. is it good?

Its good if you play with friends, and not randoms.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 8:59 pm

MrBlackDX wrote:People should always do their research

This.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:02 pm

MrBlackDX wrote:No one should buy a game based on hype.

-and this.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:09 pm

Nah.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:25 pm

So you're saying you spent your hard earned money on Duke Nukem Forever?
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:32 pm

No because anyone who hyped up a game with a troubled development (ignoring length of it) is a retard.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:49 pm

Jay,

Most people are retarded these days.

What you posted is basing games on length, and development troubles. I'm agreeing with Ben on basing games with hype.

The general public really have no idea what was going on with DNF. All they know is.. "It's taking forever mannnn!!! hahaha lolcatz can I haz cheezburger"
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Oct 03, 11 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:52 pm

So you claim I bought Duke Nukem Forever?, bad example, stop trying to find a way out of that. It is fine to be hyped for a game, as long as you know about it and what it is going to be.
Last edited by James on Mon Oct 03, 11 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby or 1=1 » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:54 pm

James wrote:No because anyone who hyped up a game with a troubled development (ignoring length of it) is a retard.

:(
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:55 pm

Don't worry, I'm sure the next Duke Nukem will be an apology.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 03, 11 9:57 pm

So you're saying you spent your hard earned money on Duke Nukem Forever? <- That is not a statement

You bought Duke Nukem forever then. <- That is a statement

Again...

"as long as you know about it and what it is going to be."

THIS IS BASING A GAME ON THE BOLDED.

There's a difference between being hyped for a game, and basing a game on hype.

Ben is talking about basing a game on hype, and not what you keep posting.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Oct 03, 11 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 10:00 pm

Okay calm down, ad hominem your bloody self.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 03, 11 10:01 pm

Now he gets it.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 10:05 pm

No I don't, you went on a ramble when I said "Nah"
Last edited by James on Mon Oct 03, 11 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Oct 03, 11 11:20 pm

Actually me stating DX3 is a bad example in retrospect because I did actually do some research on it.

Can't think of the last time I bought a game based on hype alone.

My missus buying Final Fantasy 10 would be a good example of someone buying a game without knowing anything about it and just for the hype. That was about 9 years ago. Luckily we were both happy at the outcome.

My point is, if all of your mates (community) are going on about a game, don't just buy it, research the game;

Do I like the genre? If all your mates like football games and you don't, DON'T buy it.

Are the reviews good? Know which reviewer you like, and generally you should be happy on your decision based on their review. Generally.

Can I get some non-spoiler information about this game? Try to see what you are investing yourself into, if you don't want to spoil some things, that's perfectly fine.

The "million" people who bought minecraft and didn't like it, 90% of those people didn't do enough research.

For the equivalent "billions" of people who do like minecraft, great game amirite?
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 11 11:22 pm

Surely only thousands (50k?) are playing Minecraft out of the millions?, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it lol. I'm aware of bursts during updates, but it doesn't matter for me.
Last edited by James on Mon Oct 03, 11 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Poor » Tue Oct 04, 11 1:33 am

I bought it. It was addicting for the first few days. Haven't played in months.
Poor
Poster

Postby Aidan » Tue Oct 04, 11 4:01 am

James wrote:No I don't, you went on a ramble when I said "Nah"

Nah, you're ignoring me, and carrying on because you're wrong. If you say that you aren't/vague cryptic (but related) spam, in response, I'll pm proof as to why you're incorrect. Otherwise, carry on.

MrBlackDX wrote:Actually me stating DX3 is a bad example in retrospect because I did actually do some research on it.

Can't think of the last time I bought a game based on hype alone.

My missus buying Final Fantasy 10 would be a good example of someone buying a game without knowing anything about it and just for the hype. That was about 9 years ago. Luckily we were both happy at the outcome.

My point is, if all of your mates (community) are going on about a game, don't just buy it, research the game;

Do I like the genre? If all your mates like football games and you don't, DON'T buy it.

Are the reviews good? Know which reviewer you like, and generally you should be happy on your decision based on their review. Generally.

Can I get some non-spoiler information about this game? Try to see what you are investing yourself into, if you don't want to spoil some things, that's perfectly fine.

The "million" people who bought minecraft and didn't like it, 90% of those people didn't do enough research.

For the equivalent "billions" of people who do like minecraft, great game amirite?

Hah, I wish more people thought like that. It funny because in the tech room at work, there's a window that looks right at the wall of games, and I see people just walk up and grab games (that I know are all hype), and return back the next day attempting to return the game because they do 0% research on it.

This literally happens every day... They come back the next day to find out they can't return their $60-$80 game because they took the wrapper off, and broke the seal. You might be amazed at how many people buy on impulse/buy purely because of hype.

If people do this with Minecraft, it isn't really THAT much of a loss if they're let down.
Last edited by Aidan on Tue Oct 04, 11 4:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Tue Oct 04, 11 6:03 am

Nah you're emotionally out bursting again. It was a one word post, so what?, you made a silly post.

No hype allowed.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 04, 11 7:50 am

<center>MOD BREAK: ON TOPIC</center>

So yeah, currently entertaining myself by walking through a huge system of caves & abandoned mines. Good fun to explore it all (& add torches, of course), find items, and trying to survive..
Alex
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Oct 04, 11 7:59 am

What's the adventure seeds like?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Tue Oct 04, 11 9:48 am

Pretty epic

Ravines, and caverns connected by abandoned mines.

Even more exploration than before and much better rewards (MC's original being, hey you just took out this dungeon, have a loaf of bread and a saddle)
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Kaiden » Tue Oct 04, 11 9:58 am

Yeah the new update is cool - our server was the busiest it'd been in ages and it stayed that way for a week or two, but it's pretty quiet again now everyone's got over the initial hype and built what they wanted in the congregation area.
Last edited by Kaiden on Tue Oct 04, 11 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Tue Oct 04, 11 10:02 am

You have a server?
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Kaiden » Tue Oct 04, 11 10:09 am

Yeah part of my Gmod community, you have to play on a Garry's Mod server and register on there to play the MC server though <: Had to setup some pretty strict whitelists after griefing. You're not missing much, like I said it's pretty empty atm.
Last edited by Kaiden on Tue Oct 04, 11 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Tue Oct 04, 11 10:30 am

I'd love to try it but i'm afraid of the initial OMG period being over that i wouldn't touch it again, like everyone say's, you gotta make your own fun lol!
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby or 1=1 » Tue Oct 04, 11 10:38 am

ynnaD wrote:I'd love to try it but i'm afraid of the initial OMG period being over that i wouldn't touch it again, like everyone say's, you gotta make your own fun lol!

worst excuse ever

I hope mc will get more RPG elements because for now or you play some Hard Survival server or you go creative and well... pile blocks everyday is not so entertaining
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology