Steam Box

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Steam Box

Postby or 1=1 » Mon Mar 05, 12 11:58 am

I keep reading about some rumors of new a platform developed by valve with Core i7 quad-core, 8GB RAM, motherboard Zotac Z68-ITX WiFi with GPU Nvidia mobile.

Thoughts?
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby James » Mon Mar 05, 12 12:05 pm

I'm surprised no one on the forum mentioned it sooner. This has been the 3rd rumour in months and I am sort of excited if this becomes true at GDC 2012.

The good:
If the next Microsoft console and the Wii U have the processing and graphics power as a 2008 PC then it is essential a competitor like Steam Box force this higher end of consoles in the next generation. These rumoured specs for the Steam Box are very powerful for a console, aren't they?

The bad:
Cost is a major problem, it is a huge risk for Valve who only house 300 employees and they'd be relying on bringing in other companies (as hinted in the recent report by PA's new feature) for the hardware side of things. If I had it my way I'd play it safe with the streaming idea they've been messing around with, similar to OnLive.

Though with the recent rumour I've heard that big name partners are also involved with this project.
Last edited by James on Mon Mar 05, 12 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Mon Mar 05, 12 12:17 pm

Is that picture meant to be Steam Box?
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby or 1=1 » Mon Mar 05, 12 8:29 pm

ynnaD wrote:Is that picture meant to be Steam Box?

Apparently yes.

About what James said, yes it would be way better than next generation xBox, Wii and Playstation whic are planned to be released with low level hardware (I was reading about new playstation whic will probably use a AMD APU).

As for the price, a configuration like that cost around 900€ whic is not too much compared to PS3 whic costed 700€ at day 1. They could even sell it underpriced for boost the sale of their games on steam, like amazon did with the Kindle fire.

If they'll let you install Windows OS it will definetevely land of my desk as soon as it is released.
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby clyzm » Mon Mar 05, 12 10:57 pm

So an employee at Valve decided to make a PC.

Useless for people who already know how to do it.

Come on guys, this isn't a console. At best it's a mobile PC. Rumor has it that it's gonna be $999? You can make a similar setup with twice as much RAM, a much better video card and more HD capacity for about $80 less.
Last edited by clyzm on Mon Mar 05, 12 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 05, 12 11:28 pm

clyzm wrote:So an employee at Valve decided to make a PC.

Useless for people who already know how to do it

Usefull for people who don't, and are too lazy to learn how :wink:

If they can sell it at a lower price point, and make it look sleek, give it good marketing.. It'll take off.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby or 1=1 » Tue Mar 06, 12 9:46 am

clyzm wrote:So an employee at Valve decided to make a PC.

Useless for people who already know how to do it.

Come on guys, this isn't a console. At best it's a mobile PC. Rumor has it that it's gonna be $999? You can make a similar setup with twice as much RAM, a much better video card and more HD capacity for about $80 less.

Still, if it will have success it will push microsoft, sony and nintendo to make better consoles, so we'll not have to play bad quality games just because they're ports from some rusty consoles with bad hardware
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby clyzm » Tue Mar 06, 12 12:42 pm

Valve is not some worldwide industry influence. Steam has been around for years and Origin just recently came out, because corporations finally realized that forced DRM is best DRM.

I hate to be such a debbie downer about this, but I really don't find it impressive. I mean, come on, it's a PC! Maybe it will get some buys from a few loyal customers or those who want to play Steam games but don't have a proper PC, but it's not exactly some revolutionary computer that will pave the way for future consoles.
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Mar 06, 12 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Tue Mar 06, 12 9:13 pm

clyzm wrote:I hate to be such a debbie downer about this, but I really don't find it impressive. I mean, come on, it's a PC! Maybe it will get some buys from a few loyal customers or those who want to play Steam games but don't have a proper PC, but it's not exactly some revolutionary computer that will pave the way for future consoles.

Agreed.

Anyone who is actually serious about getting this should reconsider making their own PC instead, it'd cost you far less in the long run and at least you might learn a thing or two out of it.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 07, 12 11:05 pm

Magniir wrote:
clyzm wrote:I hate to be such a debbie downer about this, but I really don't find it impressive. I mean, come on, it's a PC! Maybe it will get some buys from a few loyal customers or those who want to play Steam games but don't have a proper PC, but it's not exactly some revolutionary computer that will pave the way for future consoles.

Agreed.

Anyone who is actually serious about getting this should reconsider making their own PC instead, it'd cost you far less in the long run and at least you might learn a thing or two out of it.

Most of us build our own PC's lol

If you take a look at consoles.... They are also PC's. PC's with some custom PCB motherboards, an HDD, GPU, CPU, wifi card, ram, usb ports, memory card reader, ethernet port, hdmi port.

Asides from that, my ps3 controller is only a Bluetooth controller that the XMB OS is programmed to automatically pair with. (I've recently paired it with my PC, and play some games with it)

It's the same shit, but it is designed to:
-be easy to use
-be easy to add more storage
-be easy to play games (pop game in and play)
-be easy to communicate with friends on the same platform
-be easy to .....................................

In other words, a console is a PC that is REALLY FUCKING EASY to use.

<s>In other words, a mac is a PC that is REALLY FUCKING EASY to use</s>

That is one reason why they initially cost a lot of money...
-It's High performance (compared to average)
-It's easy
-It just works

I have a feeling they're going to take PC games, and optimize them as best they can for their 'steam box'. They will then take that optimized install, and create a library of games for their 'steam box'. When one downloads a game on their 'steam box', they can play it as they would any other PC game,

Console games are all programmed around the premise of custom hardware and software (which is very stupid if you think about it). If valve uses pre-existing PC hardware, it will be very easy, and cheap to create a stable OS for it. (Steam OS, SOS, save our souls)

Essentially, people will be able to PC game very easily with other PC gamers, on a machine that they can't fuck around with (fuck around with the settings), instead of being stuck on a shit performance console rocking 28-30~ fps with 12 year old's on xbox live. Being that there is already a large library of PC games, it will not be hard to bring them to Valve's new 'console'.

clyzm wrote:Valve is not some worldwide industry influence. Steam has been around for years and Origin just recently came out, because corporations finally realized that forced DRM is best DRM.

I hate to be such a debbie downer about this, but I really don't find it impressive. I mean, come on, it's a PC! Maybe it will get some buys from a few loyal customers or those who want to play Steam games but don't have a proper PC, but it's not exactly some revolutionary computer that will pave the way for future consoles.

Never conclude until you see the end result ;) Yeah, I'm iffy on the whole thing as well, but Valve are smart, and we really don't know ANYTHING about this unit yet.

I'd like to hear more info on Gabe's fat box in the future though.
Last edited by Aidan on Wed Mar 07, 12 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Thu Mar 08, 12 1:27 am

So, essentially you're suggesting it will be its own format.

On Steam, games will be available for Mac, Windows and Steam Box/OS?

I could see that.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Thu Mar 08, 12 1:51 am

This is pretty lame.

It's just a small PC. You can make your own SFF PC for less, and if Valve sells it at a loss it means more money going to propagate their SteamBox than making new video games.

There is nothing unique about it, Google TV is a better idea than the SteamBox, and if Valve make it I will be pretty damn disappointed.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 08, 12 4:10 am

Protocol wrote:This is pretty lame.

It's just a small ?????????. You can make your own ?????????? for less (whyyy?), and if ??????? sells it at a loss it means more money going to propagate their ?????? than making new video games. (I like games :D)

There is nothing unique about it (whaaa?), Google TV (you can look up on your tv?) is a better idea than the ???????, and if ?????? make it I will be pretty damn disappointed.

This is how the general public would read your post; hence why Valve probably don't care if we think it's lame. Those who build PC's will always have the best. Those that don't know how to, and are too ignorant to learn how will have a better 'console', compared to Xbox, PS, and Nintendo.

I know... It's a very lame idea, but could be pretty cool if it's done right, has some cool unique features, and takes off. Then it would be a smart lame idea.

Remember not to jump the gun, we know almost nothing about this yet, and Valve hasn't officially released any information about it.

Yes Jake, that is exactly what I meant. I have a strong feeling it will work too. Won't be long until you see steam store cards in markets.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Mar 08, 12 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Thu Mar 08, 12 4:55 am

It's a complete gimmick, Aidan, you have to admit.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Siva » Thu Mar 08, 12 5:02 am

That's the thing Aidan, PC gaming isn't really for the general public. I'm not saying we should be elitist about it, but everyone who doesn't care and just wants to play games will still buy a regular console, because they will be cheaper.

Sure, it's nice to find new ways to make money, but this is a whack idea and I hope its fake.

You know what I'd invest in? Valve brand hardware. Good keyboards and mice that don't break the bank/come with 8000 leds, a good solid range of monitors, a nice case or two with efficient cooling systems.

The SteamBox has no real market. PC gamers already have a PC and will prefer a PC because it makes more sense, console gamers will still buy a console because they like the price factor, the simplicity, sharing games etc etc

That said, if anyone can make this idea not shit, it's probably Valve. So I'm happy to stand corrected on this, but it'd have to have some pretty unique shit to be worth buying.
Last edited by Siva on Thu Mar 08, 12 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 08, 12 8:08 am

Anyone who buys this really is taking the phrase, "Ignorance is bliss" quite literally.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Thu Mar 08, 12 11:45 pm

De-confirmed.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 12, 12 1:01 am

clyzm wrote:It's a complete gimmick, Aidan, you have to admit.

Fine........ lol

Yeah Proto, you strike a good point. I would buy valve hardware too.

-and ohh trust me, I know that half the world doesn't need a PC period. Especially after my shift today. T'was busy as fuck.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Mar 12, 12 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Sun Aug 19, 12 7:50 am

Re-confirmed.

http://www.twitch.tv/jenesee/b/328895114 also is interesting
Last edited by James on Sun Aug 19, 12 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Sun Aug 19, 12 9:56 am

Christ, literal life story given on that link.

Interesting, but drawn-out.

Skip to 0:51 for more details.
Last edited by Tantalus on Sun Aug 19, 12 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby or 1=1 » Wed Sep 19, 12 6:50 pm

Valve's patent on a controller with interchangeable keys

Jeri Ellsworth (in the pic), a Valve employee confirmed that Valve's console will be ready for a beta next year.

Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 13, 12 8:23 pm

Last edited by Aidan on Thu Dec 13, 12 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Tue Jan 08, 13 11:39 pm

Xi3 appeared at CES 2013 with a prototype X7A modular computer, say they're in partnership with Valve; may be a licenced Steam Box.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ynnaD » Wed Jan 09, 13 1:21 am

~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 09, 13 3:04 am

People are calling it the "Gabecube" now, hahaha.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology