Oh Capcom...

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Oh Capcom...

Postby Siva » Wed Mar 28, 12 3:55 pm

I see a lot of hate about Capcom these days. Yeah, they're not the darlings they used to be, but they're not EA bad or Activision bad.

Yeah, Ace Attorney isn't getting localised yet, that hurts my soul. I actually think this is their biggest issue. Forgetting about the smaller communities that love their games. It was about 3 years ago that I said at a friends house 'Name a bad game by Capcom.' No-one had anything to say. Now we've got things like Bionic Commando, DmC and Dark Void so I can't say that anymore.

I guess what I'm getting at is that although Capcom are fallen in status, they're still not completely evil. RE6 being RE6 is not a surprise, RE4/5 sold well and it's pretty obvious they will continue that formula, survival horror is now a niche market (one that can still be successful, though. See Alan Wake.)

And yep, the SFxT DLC is pretty bad. What I don't get though is why everyone is complaining about it being on disc. That's actually a good thing. It costs an insane amount of money to release a patch on XBL and PSN. The alternatives are Capcom pay more to release it later on, then pass the cost they incurred down to the users making the DLC more expensive. OR they create SFxT 2013 edition and people complain like they complained about UMVC3.

too long; didn't read, Capcom aren't great now, but they aren't the emissaries of darkness either.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Psychotic » Wed Mar 28, 12 3:59 pm

Yeah, I'd have to agree, to be honest.

Though, I never actually thought of Capcom as being a bunch of greedy assholes like I do with Ubisoft, EA and Activision.

There's still time! :P
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 28, 12 4:26 pm

Capcom basically confirmed Resident Evil will never be a survival horror game again, it's gonna keep going down the Resi 4/5 route as in their words "Survival Horror dosn't sell"

What a shame
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Wed Mar 28, 12 5:19 pm

To be honest the disc locked content should have been made free, but I'm glad you understand the tens of thousands of dollars it costs to upload a piece of DLC onto the Xbox Live or PSN. Not to mention developers pay up to £40,000 just to simply patch a videogame with a measley 50mb limit or something.

Console development is bloody expensive unless you've got a blockbuster. If your game doesn't sell you can't fix it!

Capcom need to cater more to the fans with free content for videogames they bought, they should embrace the ones who allow them to exist. It'll be a great PR move.

The alternatives are Capcom pay more to release it later on, then pass the cost they incurred down to the users making the DLC more expensive. OR they create SFxT 2013 edition and people complain like they complained about UMVC3.

Logically the best thing they can do, I do not mind paying for the expansion prices for SF series as they seem cheap and do indeed add content that justifies their price.

But this on bug/patch level is also an evil practice EA do. See: The Sims series, Fifa, expansions to stuff like Battlefield. They purposely do not fix major things until these expansions. Research that a bit.
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 28, 12 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Poor » Wed Mar 28, 12 8:01 pm

Don't forget how they introduced permanent gamesaves to discourage people from buying the game used.
Poor
Poster

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 28, 12 8:14 pm

I can't forgive them handing the DMC rights to ninja theory.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 28, 12 8:31 pm

Aidan wrote:I can't forgive them handing the DMC rights to ninja theory.

To this day, still makes me a sad panda

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Wed Mar 28, 12 8:46 pm

Last edited by Siva on Wed Mar 28, 12 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Fri Mar 30, 12 12:11 pm

ynnaD wrote:
Aidan wrote:I can't forgive them handing the DMC rights to ninja theory.

To this day, still makes me a sad panda

You cannot blame Capcom for this entirely, they wanted to pitch it out to a third party contractor to re-invent the Devil May Cry series. They simply picked the wrong developer.

That aside, if DmC was a platformer and had nothing to do with Devil May Cry it'll be okay. We joke around a lot and call it Alice 3.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Fri Mar 30, 12 12:20 pm

I just think its sad they gave the task of re-inventing such a huge and wonderful series to someone like Ninja Theory, they should have treated the series better.

It's a shame cos the game itself might actually be ok, but the name will add unbelievable pressure and people will just compare it to the old DMCs.

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Fri Mar 30, 12 12:22 pm

If it's okay it will simply be a bad DMC, hah.

Agreed. Ninja Theory are a small time British developer in over their heads, who could potentially drown if this flops.
Last edited by James on Fri Mar 30, 12 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Mon Aug 20, 12 9:41 pm

Last edited by James on Mon Aug 20, 12 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 21, 12 3:06 am

I was actually considering buying the DMC HD collection for PS3. I am definitely game for this idea.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby ynnaD » Tue Aug 21, 12 9:04 am

What a brilliant idea.

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Return to Gaming and Technology