Good VPS Hosting

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Good VPS Hosting

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 15, 12 6:16 pm

I run a DayZ bandit clan (http://www.heavilyarmedclan.com), and the SLC1 server for it.

We've been through an expensive host, then a host with cheap pricing, and bad service.

Does anyone know any good NA VPS companies? I need at least 4TB/mo of bandwidth. I plan on setting up SLC2 eventually.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Alex » Fri Jun 15, 12 9:02 pm

What's your budget? Cheap VPS is usually also a crap VPS.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 15, 12 11:51 pm

That's always something to keep in mind.

I'm looking for something around the $60 CAD pricepoint. We currently host one DayZ server, but aim to host two, or perhaps three.

I've found this hosting company (http://www.vilayer.com). Phenomenal pricing, but I don't think they run Win 2008 R2. Regardless, one can purchase a $64CAD/mo server with specs such as these...

-200Gb HDD
-8 Cores
-8Gb Ram (ArmA2 only uses 2Gb of ram per instance)
-Unlimited Bandwidth (no strings attached)
-Port Speed 1Gbps
-1 IP Address

http://www.vilayer.com/virtual-servers/ ... rvers.html

Performance 3 & Performance 4 are the exact same, but with the reduced core count. I could go with Performance 3 at a lower cost, and host two DayZ servers.
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Jun 15, 12 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Alex » Sat Jun 16, 12 12:25 am

Found 2 quick reviews on vilayer.com, from 2011, both negative.

You could take a look at these guys:
http://www.sonicvps.com/
http://buyvm.net/

I'm not sure what virtualization platform you prefer, the above 2 both use KVM for Windows.
I dont have personal experience with those 2 providers, but they dont seem too bad. Be sure to check reviews on them yourself though! Also, not entirely
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 16, 12 4:38 am

Both have incredible pricing for what you get. I like sonicvps. My only concern is Windows. I need to be able to run windows. ArmA2 doesn't have any unix binary libraries out yet. I would much rather use a unix based server for speed, and cost, but have to conform and use Win server for the time being.
Last edited by Aidan on Sat Jun 16, 12 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Alex » Sat Jun 16, 12 8:50 am

They both can host Windows, Windows 2003 though, not 2008. As far as I can see, it's also included in the price.

I actually found out that BuyVM and SonicVPS are in the same datacentre; SonicVPS colocates in the datacentre of BuyVM.

Still, be sure to look into some reviews before you purchase anything! Best to ask here if anyone got any experience with them.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 16, 12 3:53 pm

Fantastic! I actually think that 2003 would be quicker. Regardless, I'll probably go with SonicVPS.

I've looked at reviews for Vi, but everyone I'd seen was very pleased with them. I have a feeling it was mostly DayZ hosts who had made those positive reviews though..

Reason why I also like Win servers are because of RDP. Makes life a whole lot easier (although I'm sure there is a linux equivalent)

Thanks a lot Alex :)
Last edited by Aidan on Sat Jun 16, 12 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 16, 12 3:59 pm

Aidan wrote:Fantastic! I actually think that 2003 would be quicker. Regardless, I'll probably go with SonicVPS.

I'm a bit disappointed that their "Ultra Sonic" package does not come with 4Gb of ram :/

I've looked at reviews for Vi, but everyone I'd seen was very pleased with them. I have a feeling it was mostly DayZ hosts who had made those positive reviews though..

Reason why I also like Win servers are because of RDP. Makes life a whole lot easier (although I'm sure there is a linux equivalent)

Thanks a lot Alex :)
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Alex » Sat Jun 16, 12 4:10 pm

Aidan, you can always ask if you can get a custom package, thus 2 cores + 4 GB of RAM. It's worth trying!
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 16, 12 5:14 pm

Yeah, I've just sent them an e-mail in regard to custom packages.

The thing with ArmA2 is that is uses around 2Gb RAM per instance, and needs about 2-3Tb bandwidth per server, and monthly.

If I could Get the Epi Sonic Package upgraded to 8Gb ram, and downgraded to 8Gb Bandwidth, it would be perfect. I Could host around 3 instances.

Although I'm very skeptical about 4 cores, and three servers :/ I might need 8 to do this, since ArmA is VERY CPU reliant.[/img]
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 22, 12 6:41 pm

Purchased Epi-Sonic.

Through QEMU, I always lose connection to the server whenever win setup says "Loading Windows". I've sent a ticket about the issue.

I've disabled my firewall... Let all ports pass... etc. Still nothing :/
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology