"EA Games - Ruin everything" - Videogames & Developers Ruined By Electronic Arts

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

"EA Games - Ruin everything" - Videogames & Developers Ruined By Electronic Arts

Postby James » Fri Jun 29, 12 10:00 pm

http://gamingsortasucks.blogspot.co.uk/ ... games.html

Earlier this week BioWare (a division of Electronic Arts, Inc) released a free DLC package to address the controversy over the finale of the popular Mass Effect trilogy. Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't the only problem with the title, there were been claims of plagiarism, low quality production and PR mismanagement. BioWare was acquired by EA in late 2007, and has since been criticised over the quality of their released products.

So what's wrong with Electronic Arts? Well, in short, they buyout the competition and streamline their videogames as quickly as possible leading to subpar products and as a result of this they effectively alienate the fanbases of the developers.

Please give feedback, it is to help my understanding of English because of the lack of practice I have.
Last edited by James on Fri Jun 29, 12 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Fri Jun 29, 12 10:46 pm

Too one sided. The prose isn't the issue, it's the way the article is presented.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Fri Jun 29, 12 11:50 pm

Is there any other way the subject could have an other hand perspective?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Re: "EA Games - Ruin everything" - Videogames & Developers Ruined By Electronic Arts

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 29, 12 11:55 pm

James wrote:http://gamingsortasucks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/ea-games-ruin-everything-videogames.html

Earlier this week BioWare (a division of Electronic Arts, Inc) released a free DLC package to address the controversy over the finale of the popular Mass Effect trilogy. Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't the only problem with the title, there were been claims of plagiarism, low quality production and PR mismanagement. BioWare was acquired by EA in late 2007, and has since been criticised over the quality of their released products.

So what's wrong with Electronic Arts? Well, in short, they buyout the competition and streamline their videogames as quickly as possible leading to subpar products and as a result of this they effectively alienate the fanbases of the developers.

Please give feedback, it is to help my understanding of English because of the lack of practice I have.

It's one-sided, and I'm fine with that. I like that quote.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Sat Jun 30, 12 3:46 am

It is very one-sided yes, but I have no issue with that as I believe that's kind of the point. You can't convince people to boycott something by listing the upsides alongside the downsides. This obviously isn't designed as a review, and I'm fine with that.

In saying this, my cynical nature asks: "What's the point?"

I wrote an article about boycotts and why I don't really like them.

http://randomtastic.com/2012/03/yes-i-k ... sucks-but/

You can read it here but the basic jist of the article is that I've never seen a boycott that's ever worked. Remember that L4D2 boycott group on Steam? Most people don't, because many of it's members eventually gave in and brought the game anyway. The same happened with games like Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't post it however, and I highly recommend more people do these sorts of posts and then try and make their voice heard across a larger audience. I'm just very jaded in the way these posts usually work, which is to say they usually get forgotten about weeks later. People need to be consistent and constantly reinforce and update their ideas, so they don't get forgotten.

Successful protests can last months before any change actually happens. Unfortunately, a large portion of the gaming community is very lazy. We live in a world where instant gratification is key. People want things and they want them now, they want to be rewarded without work and they'd rather waste money on a game and then bitch about it rather than simply not buy it/boycott it.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Sat Jun 30, 12 5:11 am

I like the article Mr. Robinson

Very insightful

But I must stress that video games are hugely a cooperative effort. When making a game, decisions always conflict, resolve, then apply themselves in the game, and this goes for every branch of the creative process in making a game; programming, graphics, etc.

When you cut the process time for those decisions as EA does, the games will have controversial or unfinished aspects to them

I agree with you wholeheartedly that EA is the core of the problem and their practices are very malignant to the video game industry, but the products they release certainly aren't very bad (still, they are pretty shabby) and I wish you talked a lil bit more about the nightmare that Bioware and other devs deal with when presented with EA schedules for production

It's a very delicate thing to make a video game, but yeah, EA's practices need to go
Last edited by clyzm on Sat Jun 30, 12 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Jun 30, 12 5:58 am

I wrote an article about boycotts and why I don't really like them.

http://randomtastic.com/2012/03/yes-i-k ... sucks-but/

You can read it here but the basic jist of the article is that I've never seen a boycott that's ever worked. Remember that L4D2 boycott group on Steam? Most people don't, because many of it's members eventually gave in and brought the game anyway. The same happened with games like Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't post it however, and I highly recommend more people do these sorts of posts and then try and make their voice heard across a larger audience. I'm just very jaded in the way these posts usually work, which is to say they usually get forgotten about weeks later. People need to be consistent and constantly reinforce and update their ideas, so they don't get forgotten.

Successful protests can last months before any change actually happens. Unfortunately, a large portion of the gaming community is very lazy. We live in a world where instant gratification is key. People want things and they want them now, they want to be rewarded without work and they'd rather waste money on a game and then bitch about it rather than simply not buy it/boycott it.

I really like that article, I commented on the final paragraphs but I got a 403 when I submitted it, hopefully will go through if you require approval.

[spoiler]Error 403

We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /wp-comments-post.php on this server.

You do not have permission to access this server. Data may not be posted from offsite forms.

Your technical support key is: 5cef-b50d-cd36-1abb

You can use this key to fix this problem yourself.

If you are unable to fix the problem yourself, please contact ... and be sure to provide the technical support key shown above.[/spoiler]

I think the idea is that gamers are lazy and are far too attached to the games they used to love. They often complain but they always seem to buy the titles. It was great to see how many people bought L4D2/MW2 despite boycotting.

clyzm wrote:But I must stress that video games are hugely a cooperative effort. When making a game, decisions always conflict, resolve, then apply themselves in the game, and this goes for every branch of the creative process in making a game; programming, graphics, etc.

When you cut the process time for those decisions as EA does, the games will have controversial or unfinished aspects to them

I agree with you wholeheartedly that EA is the core of the problem and their practices are very malignant to the video game industry, but the products they release certainly aren't very bad (still, they are pretty shabby) and I wish you talked a lil bit more about the nightmare that Bioware and other devs deal with when presented with EA schedules for production

It's a very delicate thing to make a video game, but yeah, EA's practices need to go

I 100% agree with you, videogame efforts are a result of long period of time and hard work. But you must realise the conditions they're under to make this work. For example, something I learnt yesterday:

Have you seen Dead Space 3?, it is a bro-op shooter and is radically different and much more simple than the previous games. It turns out EA have said they want 5 million copies for DS3 or the IP (company too?) has its plug pulled.

There's been plenty of games I enjoyed from EA, such as Magic Carpet 2, Theme Park: World, Command and Conquer: Generals, The Sims series, Mirror's Edge, Spore, Crysis 2, Alice: Madness Returns and much more but they've all got something in common in that they were rushed out of the door with bugs and an abundance of cut content developers have spoken they had wanted to be included in their videogames. You see, this is the problem for me... these games could and should have been a lot better if EA would let them finish them or not hinder their creativity.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat Jun 30, 12 6:47 am

James wrote:I really like that article, I commented on the final paragraphs but I got a 403 when I submitted it, hopefully will go through if you require approval.

Thanks, and I'll try sorting that comment issue out. Kind of defeats the idea of wanting insightful debate when the comments system doesn't work. :P

Seems Spam Free WordPress glitches out with my chosen theme, so deactivated for now (will probably just design my own layout at some point). Seems to work now, at least. Pain in the ass, though.

I also agree with clyzm, which is why whilst I do blame EA for many of it's developers issue, I also put the blame of developers like BioWare, too. I think publishers are ruining the industry but I also think developers aren't helping the situation and are another equation in the problem.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sun Jul 01, 12 12:14 pm

To aid my argument that EA have a tight grip on developer decisions please see this article I posted in the other thread: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/2 ... rx-fatalis
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 02, 12 7:06 pm

James wrote:To aid my argument that EA have a tight grip on developer decisions please see this article I posted in the other thread: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/2 ... rx-fatalis

Fantastic Article.

I can't WAIT to play Dishonored.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology