Monster Hunter Online

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Monster Hunter Online

Postby Aidan » Sun May 26, 13 6:12 am

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/04/19/ ... er-hunter/

I can't wait. Shaping to be a very fantastic MMO. I also pre-ordered FFXIV: ARR online, another amazing MMO.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Allan » Sun May 26, 13 11:01 am

Possibly the only good game to have a ton of grinding in that people won't bitch about.

Because the whole point of every game was grinding until your wheels fell off. :P
Allan
Alpha

Postby James » Sun May 26, 13 11:08 am

I'm not playing a Tencent game even if it is a whole new Monster Hunter on a non-portable platform.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sun May 26, 13 11:22 am

Yeah, I can see this being good. /sarcasm
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon May 27, 13 1:30 am

I don't think it's going to be shit. Albeit it IS Crapcom, but MH is one of their most valued franchises, and I've always loved the games.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Mon May 27, 13 4:47 am

Monster Hunter is great. MMO's, by way of history, are not.

Seeing an MMO do well and thinking "Hey, my IP could do well as an MMO, too!" is a naive thinking practice. Star Wars: The Old Republic and Warhammer Online are fantastic examples of games with incredibly awesome worlds which suffered massive failures due to bad design*.

Neverwinter is a game I've been playing recently. Developed by both a horrible developer and published by a horrible publisher (Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment respectively) it is yet another game that has an awesome IP and has been ruined by design.

My point? Don't start shooting blindly into the darkness thinking Monster Hunter will be a great MMO just because other same-named titles are successful. The MMO industry is not one which can be compared to any other genre, it has to be compared to others within it.

* It really doesn't matter that both games are around as they failed in the medium they were designed for. "Being successful" in the MMO industry is as much about population as it is about monetary success. They're supposed to be long-term ventures and if you only have a few thousand peeps playing it then it really doesn't bring forth a feeling of "massive multiplayer".
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon May 27, 13 6:42 am

Magniir wrote:Monster Hunter is great. MMO's, by way of history, are not.

Seeing an MMO do well and thinking "Hey, my IP could do well as an MMO, too!" is a naive thinking practice. Star Wars: The Old Republic and Warhammer Online are fantastic examples of games with incredibly awesome worlds which suffered massive failures due to bad design*.

Neverwinter is a game I've been playing recently. Developed by both a horrible developer and published by a horrible publisher (Cryptic and Perfect World Entertainment respectively) it is yet another game that has an awesome IP and has been ruined by design.

My point? Don't start shooting blindly into the darkness thinking Monster Hunter will be a great MMO just because other same-named titles are successful. The MMO industry is not one which can be compared to any other genre, it has to be compared to others within it.

* It really doesn't matter that both games are around as they failed in the medium they were designed for. "Being successful" in the MMO industry is as much about population as it is about monetary success. They're supposed to be long-term ventures and if you only have a few thousand peeps playing it then it really doesn't bring forth a feeling of "massive multiplayer".

I see your point, and you are correct. However, Monster Hunter has already had an MMO in Asia for a very long time. My friends say it was exactly like the console/handheld version, just with many more features, etc. Being that the old MMO is showing age after many years, Capcom is reviving it with the CryEngine 3.

I do agree that most MMO's are shit, but they tend to be the mainstream MMO's that are rushed. FFXIV: ARR and MHO are prime examples of Dev's properly taking the original gameplay experience, and bringing it to a larger scale.

When FFXIV was released, Square took feedback very seriously, and decided to eventually revamp the entire game. The gameplay is now very smooth, fun, nothing is broken, Nobuo Uematsu even made a return to create an entire soundtrack for "A Realm Reborn."

What makes you think that I'm shooting into the dark here? 8) I do my research.

Allan wrote:Possibly the only good game to have a ton of grinding in that people won't bitch about.

Because the whole point of every game was grinding until your wheels fell off. :P

Yeah man, If there was no grinding in it... I wouldn't bother haha.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon May 27, 13 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon May 27, 13 10:23 am

I'm more worried about Tencent than I am of Capcom for Monster Hunter. MoHu is one of the only series Capcom still do right.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Tue May 28, 13 3:23 am

James wrote:I'm more worried about Tencent than I am of Capcom for Monster Hunter. MoHu is one of the only series Capcom still do right.

Yeah, Tencent is notorious for adding F2P elements in games. If they wreck it, then I'll still be alright because of FFXIV:ARR.

We can only hope Capcom will keep a tight leash on them.

Trailer looks solid, but that's all we have to work with so far...

Last edited by Aidan on Tue May 28, 13 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology