PNG vs. JPEG (split)

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby synthetic » Sat Jun 08, 13 12:14 pm

I use PNG format regularly, but generally not for photos unless they are random. Reason I don't use for photos is nonspecific, but I vaguely recall PNG having a different use, reason why I regularly have and will continue to use PNG is because it gives me best quality-size ratio when saving on winxp MS Paint.
Last edited by synthetic on Sat Jun 08, 13 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Sat Jun 08, 13 3:40 pm

Kaiden wrote: Is there any reason for that? I use PNG for everything.

PNG is very inefficient for compression of photos compared to JPEG. PNG shines when used for images made of few colors (such as maps from Google Maps or comics), or when parts of the image need to be transparent or semi-transparent. Found this illustration in the interwebs, check it out.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Sat Jun 08, 13 3:59 pm

PNG is great quality, particularly so with MS Paint has it has no JPEG quality controls but there are free alternatives to fix that.

MS Paint also won't save in any higher than 96 DPI as far as I can tell. Not important for most people but 72 is average for web-based graphics and 300 for print. Take that into consideration if you want to print photos, for example.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sat Jun 08, 13 4:07 pm

JPEG may be a shitty format but if you're not using minimal colours, vector art and basically what Eugene said you can go die if you save photographs in PNG.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Sat Jun 08, 13 4:25 pm

Magniir wrote:PNG is great quality, particularly so with MS Paint has it has no JPEG quality controls but there are free alternatives to fix that.

MS Paint also won't save in any higher than 96 DPI as far as I can tell. Not important for most people but 72 is average for web-based graphics and 300 for print. Take that into consideration if you want to print photos, for example.

I used to save DX sshots in JPG in Paint. Bad idea.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Jun 08, 13 7:59 pm

I'm a fan of .tga
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Sun Jun 09, 13 4:18 am

clyzm wrote:I'm a fan of .tga

Now I'm not all too familiar with this format. I know of it, but I don't know it's reasons for existing.

Care to share?

r12m wrote:I used to save DX sshots in JPG in Paint. Bad idea.

Photoshop in particular actually tells you what the file size will be when you are exporting an image, so you can change it if it's too big and so, in rare circumstances, PNG can be good for photos, but this is rare.

Aside from this I hardly ever upload my screenshots in full resolution, preferring to keep them at 60-80% quality, depending on how much loss there is. Depending on the image there isn't always a good reason to have them at 100% quality.

Screenshots in particular get this treatment when I'm just trying to show someone something in particular.
Last edited by Psychotic on Sun Jun 09, 13 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Return to Gaming and Technology