E3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 11, 13 8:22 am

Still voting on Nintendo because yeah, fuck both Sony and Microsoft.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Tue Jun 11, 13 9:50 am

James wrote:oh fuck off sony with a fucking online pay wall

Yeeeeeah, little sour note. This gen is the PC gamers'. Thank fuck for x86.

And TitanFall looks great, nice to see where the talent was in Infinity Ward.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ynnaD » Tue Jun 11, 13 11:42 am

If that is the price to pay for no DRM, so be it
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Tue Jun 11, 13 12:27 pm

um, a pay wall is the biggest form of DRM.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Tue Jun 11, 13 12:56 pm

Technically it is, and more efficient DRM than MS's, in practice Sony doesn't charge your soul and then some, and that is quite significant.

That whole XB1 vs PS4 was beautiful marketing strategy victory while in reality one didn't feature much that was too different from the other. Clearly a successful step towards bigger profit by PS4, and temporary stock fall for MS.
Last edited by synthetic on Tue Jun 11, 13 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby James » Tue Jun 11, 13 1:26 pm

Problem is that Microsoft do pay walls on top of its already ridiculous DRM.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 11, 13 8:22 pm

It doesn't matter how much better Sony's is in comparison to Microsoft's, it shouldn't matter.

DRM is DRM.

If people continue to justify DRM in any form then absolutely nothing will be done about it. As far as I'm concerned you lose all rights to complain if you try justifying even one form of DRM.

DRM is DRM. There is no form of it that is good. There is no form of it that could be considered good. Bypassing DRM means you bypass everything related to it. The only people who even see DRM are legit users. How is this justified?
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Tue Jun 11, 13 8:37 pm

The only good DRM is inbuilt code that prevents you from progressing in the game a la Spyro the Dragon or Batman Arkham Asylum.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Tue Jun 11, 13 9:30 pm

No, the only good DRM is one that makes you aware you've pirated the game and gives a nice incentive via flag that you should consider purchasing this game.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Jun 11, 13 10:37 pm

:idea:

The best games have the most lowkey DRM or none at all like Deus Ex

:?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 11, 13 11:07 pm

Tantalus wrote:The only good DRM is inbuilt code that prevents you from progressing in the game a la Spyro the Dragon or Batman Arkham Asylum.

These methods have caused issues with legit buyers, and as soon as pirates find out they fix the problem. Like they do with every other knee-jerk DRM method.

I agree with clyzm. Most of my favourite games have a severe lack of DRM. The entire Witcher series has no DRM and yet I don't see CD Projekt crumbling beneath us as we speak.

The only people who agree with DRM are the uneducated (aka: shareholders - and they're the ones who should be educated) and the foolish. Copyright infringement is a pain. DRM is worse. Publishers exaggerate the effects of piracy as a way to justify DRM. Trusting what they say is about as helpful as trusting what the FOX Network says on video game violence (protip: it's not).

When your "solution" creates more problems then it solves then it's not a solution, it's another fucking problem.
Last edited by Psychotic on Tue Jun 11, 13 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Tue Jun 11, 13 11:08 pm

EA employees practically recite Ayn Rand prose for their objectivist fascist DRM every day because they're all corporatist dickbags
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 13, 13 4:46 pm

Maddox E3 Review

[youtube]4sLpG6_36Cc[/youtube]
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby synthetic » Thu Jun 13, 13 10:28 pm

Yeah, what he says with the first half was pretty much obvious, but its amazing how wild the crowd went for ps4.

I see it as an absolute must to ensure foolproof DRM, but at the same time it has to be said that *sharing* as such is completely normal, and if it applies to absolutely everything else then why wouldn't it apply for games. *Copying* is another matter, and now that is crime. It seems to be the case where corporations try to hit two flies with one smack and repeatedly fail at hitting anything at all.

If you make something to get something back, then others copying it endlessly puts you out of business, or forces you to make something completely different, such as shoes. At the same time, once you've made a pair and sold it, its owners own business what the fck he does with it -- lends to friend for a year or resells.

MS strategy is completely alien and is met with appropriate feedback. As for Sony.. from what I understand you don't need the disc for the game? That can fairly easily counted as "copying" if you "share", even if not 100% without write access. If that is the case, monthy fee is fairly clever or reasonable solution. If you need disc to play, then monthly fee is robbery, share it or not.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Fri Jun 14, 13 3:35 am

Sony is still the lesser of two evils but ultimately both suck.

People wonder why I'm still a PC gamer. Why? Because most consoles suck giant dick and whilst I love Nintendo I hate how few games they have that I'd actually want to play.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 14, 13 4:15 am

I did some research on the pricing today, and discovered that the UK price displayed includes VAT, while the American price does not include tax.

Sony had nothing to do with increased EU pricing. It's just the (unknowingly included) tax, and shit economy.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Fri Jun 14, 13 4:29 am

The one thing I wish people understood was that brand loyalty is retarded. People don't need to buy the new consoles, there's no obligation to do so. Sony and Microsoft don't destroy your soul if you don't buy them.

It's the very mentality that gamers think they need to buy the new consoles that destroys the industry. It's what lets companies like Sony and Microsoft get away with all the bad crap they do.

You do not have to buy a PS4 or an Xbox One to play games.

Boycotting still works but gamers are the laziest people I've ever encountered. Not in terms of physical work but in the sense that they completely lack the willingness to see things through past the video game they're currently playing.

If people don't like the way the Xbox One is then people should bitch about it. If people don't like how the PS4 is then people should bitch about it. "Sucking it up" is what lets companies get away with it. Actually complaining is what forces them to change.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 14, 13 4:58 am

Yeah, but this time around most people now know what Microsoft is doing, and almost everyone is bitching about it.

Even though we now live in an age of instant information, and virtually unlimited 'educational' resources; more than half of people out there have no interest in learning about PC's, and they really don't want to fork out $1,300 for some shit over-inflated, pre-built Best Buy 'gaming PC'.

As a result, they are left with consoles. It's their own fault, and yeah they DO fuck themselves. My point being, that if one is not smart enough/does not care enough, they are left with consoles to choose.

Many companies have seem to found that 'sweet spot' where most people don't question, or don't mind paying extra for DRM. However, Microsoft just shoved a 14 inch dick in everybody's ass, with no lube.

There is a limit for everything, and even the dumber of gamers caught on this time. Makes me happy that they have. Given this year's E3, and the amount of negative feedback MS received; we should expect a far better console next generation from them. Serves MS right for Alienating themselves.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby synthetic » Fri Jun 14, 13 7:03 am

[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Fri Jun 14, 13 7:23 am

Politics
1: Who did you vote for?
2: No one as I realized I don't have any real choice in the election.
1: Oh then clearly my opinion matters more than yours since I vote.

Gaming
A: Which console are you buying.
B: None as none of the console appeal to me.
A: Then clearly you're not as much of a gamer as I.

I feel that this has become very true, and I don't like it.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Fri Jun 14, 13 8:00 am

Aidan wrote:Sony had nothing to do with increased EU pricing. It's just the (unknowingly included) tax, and shit economy.

Bullshit, 499 euros doesn't = 499 dollars regardless of VAT/tax.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Jun 14, 13 8:46 am

Aidan wrote:As a result, they are left with consoles. It's their own fault, and yeah they DO fuck themselves. My point being, that if one is not smart enough/does not care enough, they are left with consoles to choose.

Willful or otherwise, that is what the majority of people are. Ignorant.

There is no excuse for ignorance, and I am getting tired of being punished because I'm ignorant. Why should I, and others like me, miss out because we're not stupid? I still want to enjoy consoles, I simply want to do so without the added bullshit.

Though I am not truly surprised. I have been punished ever since I learned to ask questions. Corporations don't like people who ask questions. There is no conspiracy here, it's simply easier to lead people when they all act like sheep.

Also, on the price related thing: The retailers here in NZ up-market everything so the PS4 will likely go for, on average, about £500 here. Being a small country we don't have much in the way of competition, so it's either suck it up or get nothing (unless you can find an import for cheaper).

I'm still not convinced that a console is worth almost as much as a new PC but I suppose it's better than paying the same amount of a smartphone (which I think are certainly not worth the price).
Last edited by Psychotic on Fri Jun 14, 13 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 20, 13 5:05 am

James wrote:
Aidan wrote:Sony had nothing to do with increased EU pricing. It's just the (unknowingly included) tax, and shit economy.

Bullshit, 499 euros doesn't = 499 dollars regardless of VAT/tax.

Yeah yeah I hear you... I'm still trying to completely figure out the Euro bit (if there IS anything to figure out).

Mag
Yeah, monopolies suck ass. My current service provider is like that. Only ISP in my area so they charge ridiculous prices for shit internet (although I can't complain about my ping time).

Also, FFXV may come to PC:

http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/world-epic/
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Jun 20, 13 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Dae » Thu Jun 27, 13 2:54 pm

Conan O'Brien visits E3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO5imsViKp0[/youtube]
Dae
Alpha

Previous

Return to Gaming and Technology