Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 14, 13 5:08 am

[youtube]q2RghB8r4tA[/youtube]

[youtube]AQb_t5zkfoY[/youtube]

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Got into the closed beta as of June 14th

Made this thread to let everyone know how it is, if anyone is interested. I've been anticipating this re-make for a while now so I hope it's worth the wait. Everything in orange are things I've given Yoshida's team feedback on.

June 14th

-Game size is currently 5.7Gb. Will increase to 20Gb+ as more environments are added.

-Character customization is quite good. I made someone who would look like Maester Seymour's son. I still feel as if they could add more options.

-Visuals look amazing. Some lower res textures can be improved.

-Most animations are great (especially the jumping). However, this game suffers from the generic MMO walking animation syndrome. Basic movement animations need improvement.

-Interaction. Other players, monsters, and quests are standard. We need interaction with other things: climbing ladders, sitting down on chairs/benches, sitting on a ledge letting your legs dangle down, animal interaction, general interaction with any/most AI.

-Good UI customization. Would be better if advanced customization options were given.

-Gameplay is fun fun fun. Parties are even more fun. Enemies need to be a bit further away in combat; close-combat + magic = too many things happening in one place.

-Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack is phenomenal. Dat epic music every fight as well.

-Enemy name tags are clear, but too many of them in your face at once. Option to display nearby tags (or to disable tags unless targeted) needed.

-Wait time after using potions is very slow. Wait time needs reduced.

Last edited by Aidan on Fri Jun 14, 13 9:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 14, 13 6:18 pm

Been playing all morning. This is honestly the most fun I've ever had with an MMO. Good Job Square; Yoshida definitely flipped this game around since 1.0
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Jun 14, 13 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 18, 13 4:00 am

Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 18, 13 6:34 am

If the game has grind-based leveling and no end-game content it will ultimately still flop.

Leveling is a horrible mechanic. It is completely outdated amongst a generation who no longer wants to wait for things. Even I, a long-time RPG fan, have trouble swallowing level systems because they offer nothing new and are a very slow, boring, repetitive form of "progression" that is not necessary to "learn" the game.

As for end-game content, this one's the hardest. No MMO can match WoW's content on release in a development cycle of 5 years, it's just not realistic. WoW had ample time without competition to hone it's content but new MMO's don't but they need to at least try.

Lack of end-game content is what kills most MMOs for me, this and the grind needed to get there. I don't care if the end-game is fantastic if I have to spend too long getting there (and with the advent of B2P and F2P games there is even less of a reason to delay your users) only to find it doesn't have much of anything when I do.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Wed Jun 19, 13 11:33 am

MMOs need to start focusing on being better games rather than trying to be like other MMOs.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Wed Jun 19, 13 8:50 pm

James wrote:MMOs need to start focusing on being better games rather than trying to be like other MMOs.

I read an article related to MMO's recently and it got me thinking:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminSho ... to_Big.php
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 20, 13 1:47 am

James wrote:MMOs need to start focusing on being better games rather than trying to be like other MMOs.

This soo much. I'm sick and tired of people telling me "OH BUT MMO Z IS SOOO MUCH BETTER THAN MMO X," where they then proceed to show me footage of a fetch quest with the exact same gameplay mechanics as every other MMO.

On the forums, I've suggested implementing ATB gauges to make it... I 'unno... FEEL LIKE FINAL FANTASY EVEN A BIT MAYBE?!

With every 'upgrade' phase, this game is being pummeled with bad ideas from MMO fuckheads who won't accept anything other than the standard MMO formula. If this persists, I'm going to stop wasting my time, and wait to play Monster Hunter Online.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Jun 20, 13 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology