Fallout 3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Have you ever played Fallout 1/2/Tactics?

Yeh
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 30

Postby James » Wed Aug 20, 08 4:54 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
LTKJAY wrote:This is stupid.

You're stupid.
Were you expecting a complete overhaul?

Like all new games, not a fucking rehash Oblivion with guns.

MastaKilla wrote:It looks awesome in my opinion, I'm a big STALKER fan and this should be way better, right? :lol:

To be honest, no.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Aug 20, 08 4:55 pm

Why not? :(
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Aug 20, 08 4:57 pm

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a good to honest game (even better with the Oblivion Lost restoration mod), one of the best current generation games if not the best RPG available right now. You're getting a new game too this year/next.

Fallout 3 is an excuse to make money out of a franchise that only sold a few thousands.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Aug 20, 08 5:01 pm

Maybe not better than, but it should be interesting to see the engine of Oblivion perform with guns, and the combat system looks alright. I'm gonna have to wait an see :P
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Aug 20, 08 5:02 pm

Its a console game though, not a true Fallout.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Aug 20, 08 5:04 pm

LTKJAY wrote:
Like all new games, not a fucking rehash Oblivion with guns.
Yes but games with the same engine do have similarities.

For example:
Gears of War
Unreal Tournament
Huxley
Army of Two
Dark Void
Too Human

Also, what was wrong with Oblivion?

Sure it was glitchy and lacked voice actors but Fallout 3 has MORE voice actors and...might still have bugs.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Aug 20, 08 5:11 pm

The thing is about those games, same genre, same engine and same core. But beyond that, different coding, different art and different gameplay except maybe Army of Two, fucking GoW ripoff. The make different games.

Everything was shit about Oblivion to Morrowind, it was a huge step back, developed for 360 and confirmed the downfall of Bethesda. The only thing Oblivion should be praised for is being pretty and it still is pretty... although this is VERY bland compared to Morrowind's areas.

If Capcom can make Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Devil May Cry 4 which are entirely different games... and they're Japanese who are notorious for rehash with FAR too many sequels then an American videogame wRPG company can.
Last edited by James on Wed Aug 20, 08 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Aug 20, 08 5:27 pm

Believe me, you haven't seen GoW clone until you've seen Dark Void...

I've never played Morrowind so I can't say much, but as long as there is some RPG elements to it, I will look forward to it.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby UT » Wed Aug 20, 08 6:52 pm

MastaKilla wrote:It looks awesome in my opinion, I'm a big STALKER fan and this should be way better, right? :lol:

So, i never play STALKER. Should i? or i will lost my money?
Tim Sweeeeeeney<3
James wrote:Of course I do I'm living the dream!!!!

DJ wrote:wat dream

Chloe wrote:me, ofc
UT
Elite

Location: Action de déterminer avec précision le lieu de quelque chose.

Postby James » Wed Aug 20, 08 6:55 pm

Spend, pretty cheap and worth the money. Get the Oblivion Lost mod also. http://www.oblivion-lost.net/
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby UT » Wed Aug 20, 08 7:16 pm

Ok, i will. :)
Tim Sweeeeeeney<3
James wrote:Of course I do I'm living the dream!!!!

DJ wrote:wat dream

Chloe wrote:me, ofc
UT
Elite

Location: Action de déterminer avec précision le lieu de quelque chose.

Postby xProtocol Rain » Wed Aug 20, 08 7:24 pm

Oblivion... God I miss that game. I had turned it in for store credit (talking about 360 version of course). I'll go buy it again.
Last edited by xProtocol Rain on Wed Aug 20, 08 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xProtocol Rain
Death and Destruction

Postby Psykorgasm » Fri Aug 29, 08 7:28 pm

http://kotaku.com/5043549/five-new-fall ... lay-videos

Looks amazing. I shall be getting this I think!
Psykorgasm
Addict

Postby Dae » Fri Aug 29, 08 8:01 pm

The game looks much better in action and those videos than in the screenies.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Psykorgasm » Fri Aug 29, 08 8:16 pm

Yep. I especially enjoy the last video on that site. :D
Psykorgasm
Addict

Postby James » Sat Aug 30, 08 10:17 am

I still can't decide how I'm going to play this, maybe I'll try a Mad-Max/Kenshiro build, focusing on using shotguns and hand to hand.

Truely, all I want to do is kick a super mutant in his sterile balls and blow his head off.

Most areas have a bunch of set levels which you might arrive at early, and thus face a fucking hard, if not impossible battle. Others have levels that always scale like 1 or 2 above you, to make sure that you'll be in for a fight even in if you're a total homo who's maxed out his level with cheatan codes, and other areas will scale with you like RANDOM ENCOUNTERS DID in the previous two games.

To recap:
Majority of areas - Always scales a bit above you to provide a challenge.
Many Areas - Sits at a constant level, so you can backtrack and play superman among weakass raiders (like in the other games)
Some areas - Scales directly with you so you'll have a 50% chance of winning, these are random encounters throughout the wasteland and work pretty much like in the first game. Although they've explained you wont be finding higher level gear on the mobs even though you're max level. The random encounters are likely to have special components and slightly better shitty rifles at that point though, but not power armor and gauss rifles.
Last edited by James on Sat Aug 30, 08 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Sun Aug 31, 08 12:26 am

My build will be a sneaky rifleman and a power armour laser-firing jock.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Fri Oct 31, 08 2:22 pm

I cannot wait to play this, everyone is enjoying it despite a few limitations. Thankfully it isn't DIRECTLY Oblivion with guns and some if not a lot of the game is still a fantastic experience from what I can see. Still, like Protocol said the conversations are cringe worthy, as bad as Oblivion's from what I can see.

I've decided upon my character by the way, I'm going to be Danny Zuko of post-apocalyptic Washington DC. Because I cannot use a self-insert of myself due to feeling already personally weired out by the fact the dad is already called James. He will be focusing in unarmed combat only, his perks will be IRON FIST, BLOODY MESS, LADY KILLER, LAWBRINGER and of course more. The first thing I am going to do is help Butch and his mum for Butch's leather jacket.

Video of my character's 10th birthday: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_j67VosWlR8

I cannot wait for mods, you're missing out if you buying this game for consoles.
Last edited by James on Fri Oct 31, 08 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Dae » Fri Oct 31, 08 4:40 pm

I bought the jewel today, woohoo

(and after coming home, realized my DVD reader is broken, so repairing it now)

legal, fully translated Fallout 3 in jewel box costs 9 pounds (= 12 euros or $15) here
Last edited by Dae on Fri Oct 31, 08 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Siva » Sat Nov 01, 08 9:14 pm

Fallout 3 is better than STALKER.

It's as good as the previous two Fallout games, with obvious differences.

I have never had so much fun in an RPG in my life.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Tonnochi » Sat Nov 01, 08 9:34 pm

James wrote:Its a console game though, not a true Fallout.

It takes regular fans to come to a conclusion like that no doubt, I'm sure the developers think the same thing.

Fucking love the nets.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Siva » Sat Nov 01, 08 9:38 pm

I think this is one of those rare occasions that it being a console game does not do anything to it's disadvantage. I didn't feel that the game had been dumbed down.

The only ways I can see this having benefited from a PC exclusive is the map, menus (for example, there should be 3 buttons linking to each of the Pip-Boy's main functions.) and perhaps better AI. For example sometimes I can just circle an enemy with a shishkebab and 70% of the time I'll win. The other 30% are the better enemies, like Super Mutant Masters.
//..
Siva

Postby James » Sat Nov 01, 08 10:05 pm

Aaron wrote:
James wrote:Its a console game though, not a true Fallout.

It takes regular fans to come to a conclusion like that no doubt, I'm sure the developers think the same thing.

Fucking love the nets.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

deal
w/
it
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby xProtocol Rain » Sun Nov 02, 08 2:58 am

Protocol wrote:I didn't feel that the game had been dumbed down.

Me either.
xProtocol Rain
Death and Destruction

Postby James » Sun Nov 02, 08 9:31 am

Actually I can list a number of things but they don't really matter, because it does feel like Fallout more than Oblivion.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Nov 02, 08 9:33 am

James wrote:Actually I can list a number of things but they don't really matter, because it does feel like Fallout more than Oblivion.

Can you tell me how? I've been hoping it's not like Oblivion.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sun Nov 02, 08 9:34 am

The only things you'll see from Oblivion is awkward faces, animations, conversations, menus and copy and paste worlds.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Dae » Sun Nov 02, 08 10:01 am

I miss simplicity of interfaces from older Fallouts with simple drag-n-drop actions. 3d person view is also a bit strange imho.

Also I tried to re-assign pip-boy from Tab to NumPad0 (because I still play with arrows), but due to a bug pip-boy didn't deactivate with NumPad0.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Nov 02, 08 10:41 am

James wrote:The only things you'll see from Oblivion is awkward faces, animations, conversations, menus and copy and paste worlds.

I enjoyed Oblivion to be honest, not as fun or as in-depth as Morrowind (at least from a personal perspective) but I didn't hate it completely.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Sun Nov 02, 08 4:29 pm

KyLe Iz SiK wrote:
Protocol wrote:I didn't feel that the game had been dumbed down.

Me either.

I was waiting for someone to bite so I could truly unleash my rage upon Fallout 3.

Don't get me wrong, it's good but every part of it shits and screams console at me.

Dialogue options? LOL WHAT DIALOGUE OPTIONS, there's either a yes, or fuck you with the occasional [Karma] or [Speech X%] thrown in which do fuck all for me and the way I play because I killed most characters anyway.

The writing is brutal
The ending is terrible
The animations are shit (Try diagonal running in 3rd person. I've seen the camera it defaults to on the 360, no fucking wonder it's so close.)
The art direction is uninspired and bland for the most part, brown brown brown brown brown brown brown, Gears of War had more colour.
Even the witcher has an isometric camera option, fix the bollocks animations and add this in.
VATS is retarded and pointless, since all you have to do is circlestrafe with a power fist and you win the game
The followers are ridiculous, Dogmeat is shit and a liablity, Cross is god and you can leave her to fight AND WIN every battle for you

However, despite ALL of this, I have so much fun playing Fallout 3. I really don't know why because every time I stop I feel like I've been scammed but whilst playing it is so, so very engaging.
//..
Siva

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming and Technology