Being A Musician

Films, television and music and everything to do with culture.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Being A Musician

Postby kBo » Tue Dec 04, 07 3:57 am

Over the summer, I got paid $50 for a 2-hour gig once a week. Pretty damn good money for a high-schooler. That's $25 an hour. Those of you in the U.S. may have heard about our economy's recent troubles. Restaurant managers are cutting costs, and guess what gets cut first? Music.

We got eased into it. The restaurant that gave us this regular gig told us we could only play on Wednesdays and Sunday now (low traffic nights), and we know that this is because of our age. Then, after a few gigs under that arrangement, they told us that we would be treated like regular employees (i.e. clocking in and getting shitty hourly wages). We stopped doing that once school started because Wednesday and Sunday just didn't work in terms of free time. Now we have gigs that pay $25 an hour but they're few and far between.

too long; didn't read I want money but current circumstances kinda suck and I'm in love with the music I play enough to keep subjecting myself to such abuse.

http://myspace.com/russellfavrettrio
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Re: Being A Musician

Postby Allan » Wed Dec 05, 07 3:01 pm

kBo wrote:I'm in love with the music I play enough to keep subjecting myself to such abuse.

Glad to hear that some people aren't in music just for the money. :D
Allan
Alpha

Postby kBo » Fri Dec 07, 07 3:28 am

Here's me and my finger both looking busted after a 2 hour gig tonight.
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby Tonnochi » Fri Dec 07, 07 3:40 am

Whoa, that's wrecked.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby kBo » Fri Dec 07, 07 3:51 am

I have so much callous on that finger that it didn't hurt at all to play an hour with that blister. My mentor can pull a hot (300-ish degree) oven rack out with his bare index finger.
kBo
Master

Return to Entertainment