Your idol of lead guitarists

Films, television and music and everything to do with culture.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Your idol of lead guitarists

Postby Tantalus » Sat Mar 15, 08 9:20 pm

I don't think there's a thread dedicated to this (I haven't checked though Confused; guaranteed hollow claim). The title explains the most part, if you would like a spoken tutorial please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, show some of their Godly achievements; be it an almighty riff or a whole career of awesomeness.

*Zeroed onto subject* I'll get the ball rolling: Enrik Garcia of Dark Moor. Responsible for The Moon or The Dark Moor.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShmFHNpjO1w[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShmFHNpjO1w[/youtube]
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Destroyerzero » Fri May 16, 08 11:35 pm

Favorite Lead guitarists who I learned a lot from....I wont say I idolize them....since they are them and I am me. I will respect their hard work and time put into their instrument.

Joe Satriani

I learned a lot from listening to him and his extended music theory explanations. Favorite songs by Satriani... He needs no introduction....

Crystal Planet
Surfing with the Alien
Ice 9
Devil's Slide
Summer Song

Steve Vai

Like Satriani, He loves the Lydian mode with a passion. Its the major scale but with a raised fourth (1,2,3,#4,5,6,7) and its the same as going from Root to the relative key one fifth above. Play the E major scale and then Starting from E, play the B major scale.

Liberty
ooo
Fever Dream (Favorite Steve Vai Song)
Blood and Tears

Rhandy Rhodes

He played for Ozzy Osborne...Blizzard of Ozz Album...My favorite solos by him are the ones in Crazy Train and Mr Crawley. Too bad he is dead.

Dimebag Darrel

I liked Pantera a lot, but he knew how to make solos using the Diminished and Augmented keys passing over the blues and pentatonic keys. Cowboys from Hell, Suicide Note Part 1, Sandblasted Skin, Hostile and Cementary Gates are my favorite pantera songs.

Herman Li

His approach is a melodic form combination with Sam when both do their dragonforce solos together...Though most of their stuff sounds the same, there are some solos I like....

Valley of the Damned, Cry for Eternity, Operation Ground and Pound, My Spirit will go on and Through the fire and flames

Kirk Hammet

He has many ideas using pentatonic and blues scale as a basis for many things. I liked metallica's earlier works. My favorite songs which have his solos

Battery
One
Welcome Home Sanitarium

I would cite songs from Hit the Lights and Ride the Lightning, but most of those solos were created by Dave Mustaine when he was in the band.

Marty Friedman

Megadeth's lead guitarist loved harmonic minor keys combined with blues scale. He used accoustic and electric guitars....My favorite solo by him and favorite Megadeth song is "Holy Wars...The punishment due" where you find a classical accoustic guitar interlude, along with a call and response solo during "a punishment due" as well as an outro solo as well.

Slash

His thing was a softer, but more chordal and melodic approach to soloing. He wasn't about trying to show off. He was about trying to make the piece have a solo that sticks well with the song. Guns and Roses lead guitarists who had his beginnings in Funk before his time in GNR.

Sweet Child of Mine
Paradise City
November Rain
Rocket Queen
Garden of Eden

There are many other guitarists out there which I enjoy....if I wrote them all down...I would have a book written by the time I was done.
Destroyerzero

Postby Tantalus » Sat May 17, 08 12:06 am

Finally, a response! But a damned long one.

Mikko Salovaaru

A huge heap of thrash dolloped on to Power Metal makes it so.....crunchy.

Conqueror
The Decaying Doctrine
Across The Snows
Warrior Soul

Emil Norberg

Not bad with Savage Circus.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Destroyerzero » Sat May 17, 08 12:16 am

I like some japanese and brazillian guitarists as well :)...Although not a guitarists......I like Sabah (She is a woman who has sung for 60 years. She is 80 years old now, and her voice hasnt broken. She broke down the octave into 24 parts and sings songs using the full range of pitch...She is lebonese but loves Middle Eastern Music and Motion Pictures
Destroyerzero

Postby Tantalus » Sat May 17, 08 11:23 am

Japan and Brazil definitely have hidden talent. Trying to find some Japanese Power Metal bands.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Destroyerzero » Mon May 19, 08 1:39 am

If you are looking for old metal bands......Let me throw a band out there...Remember Sepultura? Although not a power metal band, A Japanese band I like is High and Mighty Color as well as Orange Range.
Destroyerzero

Postby Tantalus » Mon May 19, 08 4:03 pm

Orange Range are good. Even though I only know them because of Bleach :roll: . I've heard a few Dir En Grey.

IMO I think Groove Metal is almost as bad as Nu Metal.
Last edited by Tantalus on Mon May 19, 08 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby majinbuu1023 » Tue Jun 17, 08 1:17 pm

darrel dimebag
slash
that guy from metallica :P
majinbuu1023

Postby James » Tue Jun 17, 08 1:40 pm

>that guy from Metallica

:x
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby majinbuu1023 » Tue Jun 17, 08 2:06 pm

yeah he owns, kirk hammet lol.
majinbuu1023

Postby Tantalus » Tue Jun 17, 08 6:29 pm

Bring on Battery!

Kiko Loureiro.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ak » Wed Jun 18, 08 3:35 pm

I'd have to say Adam Jones from Tool. He's so creative and has his own style.
ak

Postby Zantinzuken » Wed Jun 18, 08 3:41 pm

Is that you Konami?
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Return to Entertainment