Indie

Films, television and music and everything to do with culture.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Indie

Postby Conceited » Wed Jun 21, 06 11:51 pm

I'm big into indie music as much as any metal or progressive.
Any of you who damn indie and all the great bands that originate out of it, i.e Oasis, just arn't British. This may sound a bit queer, but its time all you 'extreme metal, teen angst, im in so much pain and no one listens to me' cocks need to grow up and vary your genre's. Like Lazer's dance music thing, I'm not a massive fan of it but I can understand that when in a club situation, it'd suit the scenario and I have times when I want to listen to dance/chillout music.

Too much of something is a bad thing, kids, so free your mind and all that jazz and listen to other stuff. Now.
Conceited
Master

Postby clyzm » Wed Jun 21, 06 11:53 pm

I enjoy Indie every now and then. J-Indie is one of my favorite genres.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Wed Jun 21, 06 11:54 pm

I don't love the British indie scene, but I do have a soft spot for Oasis...and The Zutons... ...
I LOVE American indie bands, like Head Automatica, Shabutie, SSTB-era Coheed and Cambria.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Wed Jun 21, 06 11:55 pm

American indie, lol.

I like any kind of indie, personally British and Japanese. <3
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Conceited » Wed Jun 21, 06 11:56 pm

I'm using Indie as an example. What I'm trying to say is that people who listen to a set genre all the time are gonna grow up to be uncultured, boring bastards and change is good. Also, listening to extreme bands to look 'cool' or 'strong' is just silly.

S'what I mean.
Conceited
Master

Postby James » Wed Jun 21, 06 11:59 pm

Conceited wrote:I'm using Indie as an example. What I'm trying to say is that people who listen to a set genre all the time are gonna grow up to be uncultured, boring bastards and change is good. Also, listening to extreme bands to look 'cool' or 'strong' is just silly.

S'what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean.
My music taste is varied.

When I look around I see:
  • Metalheads who only allow themselves to live in the 80s.
  • Screamo scenekids who like the most god awful music. (edit: this is NOT being stereotypical, because their music is actually pretty much the same litterally between bands)
  • Deathmetal-extremeists.
  • A horde of people wearing HIM clotheing.
  • Those scenekids who only know Trivium and Killswitch atm.

edit: and we all know this exists outside the rock genre too!

American indie, lol.

Yeah its alot different, compare Franz Ferdinhand to Fall of Troy.
Last edited by James on Thu Jun 22, 06 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Thu Jun 22, 06 12:02 am

Death metal and brutal death metal is my favorite genre, but I listen to other genres. The reason it is hard to stop listening to only death metal because it makes a sort of addiction that is hard to break from. \m/
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby C:Enter:£££ » Thu Jun 22, 06 12:39 am

Conceited wrote: Also, listening to extreme bands to look 'cool' or 'strong' is just silly.

S'what I mean.

To like them bands it's an acquired taste, you don't just wake up one day and think "I'm gonna stick some brutal truth on and like it! woo!", also I don't think no one listens to extreme bands to look cool or strong :\ Not a big enough fan base for people to do that lol

The furthest I stray from death/thrash/grind is industrial. But that's only like 1/2 bands. Nothing else interests me really.
C:Enter:£££
Forum Legend

Postby clyzm » Thu Jun 22, 06 4:14 am

[A]MoshMan wrote:
Conceited wrote: Also, listening to extreme bands to look 'cool' or 'strong' is just silly.

S'what I mean.

To like them bands it's an acquired taste, you don't just wake up one day and think "I'm gonna stick some brutal truth on and like it! woo!", also I don't think no one listens to extreme bands to look cool or strong :\ Not a big enough fan base for people to do that lol

The furthest I stray from death/thrash/grind is industrial. But that's only like 1/2 bands. Nothing else interests me really.

Have you tried all other genres? :P
clyzm
Forum Master God

Re: Indie

Postby Lazer » Thu Jun 22, 06 10:06 am

Conceited wrote:I'm big into indie music as much as any metal or progressive.
Any of you who damn indie and all the great bands that originate out of it, i.e Oasis, just arn't British. This may sound a bit queer, but its time all you 'extreme metal, teen angst, im in so much pain and no one listens to me' cocks need to grow up and vary your genre's. Like Lazer's dance music thing, I'm not a massive fan of it but I can understand that when in a club situation, it'd suit the scenario and I have times when I want to listen to dance/chillout music.

Too much of something is a bad thing, kids, so free your mind and all that jazz and listen to other stuff. Now.

Superb post. Its what i have been getting at all these few short weeks that i have been here but just didnt have the panache or guile to pull it off in such a way as you!

Well said fella.
Lazer
Addict

Postby clyzm » Thu Jun 22, 06 11:03 am

Lazer wrote:

Superb post. Its what i have been getting at all these few short weeks that i have been here but just didnt have the panache or guile to pull it off in such a way as you!

Well said fella.

Have you ever tried metal?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psykorgasm » Thu Jun 22, 06 11:04 am

[A]MoshMan wrote:

S'what I mean.

Industrial bebbe! :D :D :D :D :D
Psykorgasm
Addict

Postby Lazer » Thu Jun 22, 06 12:56 pm

cataclyzm wrote:
Lazer wrote:

Well said fella.

Have you ever tried metal?

Ive listened to some yeah but been to a metal gig, no.
Lazer
Addict

Postby clyzm » Thu Jun 22, 06 12:58 pm

What other genres beside Trance and Techno do you listen to?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Lazer » Thu Jun 22, 06 1:06 pm

80s music

Funky House

Commercial dance

VERY limited RnB/Hip Hop songs.

SOME indie music if the mood strikes me (by this i mean The Killers, Snow Patrol, Arctic Monkeys etc)
Lazer
Addict

Postby clyzm » Thu Jun 22, 06 1:08 pm

Hmmm ....

80s music is a huge area... you mean 80s rock or?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Lazer » Thu Jun 22, 06 1:20 pm

Well, a bit of everything from around that era Cat. If i like it i like it.

E.g. i like
The Jam - Going Underground (rock)
Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
Heart - Alone (power ballad)
Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (70s)
Lazer
Addict

Postby clyzm » Thu Jun 22, 06 1:21 pm

Lazer wrote:Well, a bit of everything from around that era Cat. If i like it i like it.

E.g. i like
The Jam - Going Underground (rock)
Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
Heart - Alone (power ballad)
Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (70s)

Well, you get an honorary devil's horns from me :P

\m/
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Krieg » Thu Jun 22, 06 1:34 pm

i got a big variation of rock taste hehe , listen to many genres and going to listen to even more , but further than rock i won't go , so no trance /hip&hop/pop ever
-Elitist-
Krieg
Forum Super Hero

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 22, 06 5:11 pm

I love Oasis. Jay stop lying, you used to hate Oasis.

I'm also right into The Clash at the moment.

The whole Renaissance/Classical/Barque period of music does it for me as well. I remember the first time I heard Moonlight Sonata when I was 4 or thereabouts.

Wonderful, packed full of emotions. The most expressive genre, by far.
Bob
Forum God

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Jun 22, 06 5:15 pm

My tastes in genre;

Rock;

Brit-Indie
90's Brit-Rock
70's punk and progressive rock
60's early poprock to psychedelic rock
80's funk rock, especially early RHCP and FaithNoMore
jazz/rock fusion
Blues
Various Metal 80's-modern day
Various American Indie

Pop;

Pretty much any pop song which is actually good, from 70's-modern day

Dance/Electronic;

The "Pre Millenium" Dance explosion, (the era in which Fatboy Slim for example reigned)

Chillout Dance

Alternative Electronic, Moby, Jean Micheal Jarre etc

Happy Hardcore

Some Drum'N'Bass

Game music

Rap/RNB;

Comedy Rap, Eminem's more comic songs and Goldie Lookin Chain for example

OldSkool 80's - early 90's rap, Sugar Hill Gang - Snoop Dog

And finally, i like chilled Classical, not a big fan on the oldie classical artists

Early RNB, TLC's first album and Eternal for example

Things i dont like especially;

Modern Day gangster rap

Recent Dance, too samey

Emo Rock/Metal

Processed Pop and effortless pop

Processed Rock

Fad music, for example a song which is only popular for what it isnt, like a good video or for getting blatant advertising from McDonalds or something equally stupid

End/Rant
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Return to Entertainment