Opening Port...?

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Opening Port...?

Postby ~BlooDRaiN~ » Sat Mar 25, 06 8:06 am

umm dad is havin a cry cause he dosnt want me to open a port because he dosnt know..
1.What opeing a port does
2.Do ppl conect to the server ON my computer
3.Can ppl hack my computer and acces files/ect

if you can help it would be much apreciuated and maby i can get an australian server goin
...Blood Will Rain From The Sky's...
~BlooDRaiN~

Postby Alex » Sat Mar 25, 06 8:57 am

1. A port is more like a small opening in the protection.
2. Well, since the server is hosted on your computer, people connect to your computer.
3. Hmmm, not that I know. There aren't a lot of hackers in Deus Ex, and it is hard to actually hack. If you have a firewall, just only allow Deus Ex to connect through those ports. If anything else connects through it --> Bam, rejected.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Dae » Sat Mar 25, 06 3:50 pm

I doubt hackers are really interested in hacking your computer, unless you're Bill Gates or someone else well known :P However, yes, it is possible, but if you use Windows XP service pack 2 you're less vulnerable than if you used Windows 98/ME/2000.
I recommend you to buy (or just download and crack it like we all do here) a firewall like Kaspersky AntiHacker or Agnitum Outpost Pro (the best at the moment). With a good firewall you have nothing to be afraid of.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Allan » Sat Mar 25, 06 6:20 pm

... I have Outpost, and it wont let me connect to the net with it on, regardless of what i do with it :? . I prefer McAffee firewall, or something like that.
Allan
Alpha

Postby kBo » Sat Mar 25, 06 6:38 pm

~[A]lex~ wrote:1. A port is more like a small opening in the protection.

Not really true. Just use this analogy to show him: You computer is like a house. Opening a well secured port is like leaving a door on the outside of the house unlocked, but that door only access one room with no other doors of valuables.

Opening a port doesn't make your computer vulnerable unless the service running on it (in this case, Deus Ex) is vulnerable because of poor coding.

~[A]lex~ wrote:3. Hmmm, not that I know. There aren't a lot of hackers in Deus Ex, and it is hard to actually hack. If you have a firewall, just only allow Deus Ex to connect through those ports. If anything else connects through it --> Bam, rejected.

Also not really true. It's very easy to hack, as long as the server you're hacking is running a vulnerable program, and almost ALL programs are vulnerable at some level if you look hard enough. The reason that people aren't getting hacked left and right isn't because it's hard to do per se, it's just that it takes a while to do it.

Now then, you only really have to worry if Deus Ex is vulnerable.
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby Siva » Sat Mar 25, 06 6:39 pm

I recently uninstalled all my firewalls.

I'd rather just have a good virus scanner, firewalls create so much confusion.

Windows Firewall Only.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Dae » Sat Mar 25, 06 8:38 pm

XII//:Prod1gy wrote:I recently uninstalled all my firewalls.

I'd rather just have a good virus scanner, firewalls create so much confusion.

Windows Firewall Only.

Actually it's better to have a decent firewall instead. "Confusion" is caused by lack of knowledge, right?
Dae
Alpha

Postby Wasted » Sat Mar 25, 06 8:54 pm

So thats why I diont knwo the meaning of confusion. or possibly, Im jsut dumb.
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby ~BlooDRaiN~ » Sun Mar 26, 06 12:19 am

thats alot of help guys i shal see what i can do about it all and maby there will be a australian server running sooner rather then later
~BlooDRaiN~

Postby Alistair » Sun Mar 26, 06 10:59 am

Your hosting right? So why is he crying over a UDP port??
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby Alex » Sun Mar 26, 06 11:26 am

kBo wrote:
~[A]lex~ wrote:1. A port is more like a small opening in the protection.

Not really true. Just use this analogy to show him: You computer is like a house. Opening a well secured port is like leaving a door on the outside of the house unlocked, but that door only access one room with no other doors of valuables.

Opening a port doesn't make your computer vulnerable unless the service running on it (in this case, Deus Ex) is vulnerable because of poor coding.
If you open a port, is is a small opening in the protecting. A router works some what like a firewall (Not really but ok). If you open a port, you allow connection through it.

~[A]lex~ wrote:3. Hmmm, not that I know. There aren't a lot of hackers in Deus Ex, and it is hard to actually hack. If you have a firewall, just only allow Deus Ex to connect through those ports. If anything else connects through it --> Bam, rejected.

Also not really true. It's very easy to hack, as long as the server you're hacking is running a vulnerable program, and almost ALL programs are vulnerable at some level if you look hard enough. The reason that people aren't getting hacked left and right isn't because it's hard to do per se, it's just that it takes a while to do it.
Now you are saying 2 opposing things. You say it's not hard, but it just takes time. If it's easy, it wouldn't take a lot of time would it?

Now then, you only really have to worry if Deus Ex is vulnerable.
Alex
Alpha

Postby ~BlooDRaiN~ » Sun Mar 26, 06 11:39 am

[T]Kon wrote:Your hosting right? So why is he crying over a UDP port??

no im not hosting yet because i odnt no what problems it could cause n stuff
~BlooDRaiN~

Return to Technical issues