Breath of New Life

If you have problems with logging in please use the password recovery procedure.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Breath of New Life

Postby Shinobi » Sun Dec 25, 11 11:32 pm

Perhaps we could have a new forum skin?? Updated software? A chatroom (steam maybe?) meeting perhaps to discuss potential new shit?? A christmassy get-together to pool ideas on possible new sub-fora maybe???

Dead as a dodo around here lately
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Sun Dec 25, 11 11:36 pm

Don't think we need skins.
Updated software?, IDK... ... ...
Chatroom shot down, I had same idea but realised it simply isn't good. No API for Steamchat either.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Mon Dec 26, 11 2:11 am

I just meant we should all leg it into a chatroom and mull some ideas over one day, not necessarily on the site, although yes I've suggested that before.

Something needs to change to make site a bit more appealing maybe to new users.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Kaiden » Mon Dec 26, 11 3:57 am

Dead as a dodo around here lately

Naturally there's not many posts on like, Christmas day and the days around it, first time checking the forums in over 24 hours when usually I'm checking it regularly. I've also seen the forums a lot quieter than this month, in which they haven't been that bad.

At the end of the day this forum was still originally about a game pretty much no forum poster is even playing anymore, the fact it still does quite well, even in comparision to my Gmod server forums and the like is a testament (quite a lot to jay) to the forums!

There's been a few new users this month alone. Whether they choose to stick around is up to them really. We were a lot less unfriendly to new users a few years ago. (See: warning regime on pretty much anything that broke the rules)

EDIT: Also way too many birthdays on 31st/1st <:
Last edited by Kaiden on Mon Dec 26, 11 4:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 26, 11 5:55 am

It's all about marketing here. Not in the financial aspect.

This is a Deus Ex Forum that people come across when looking for Deus Ex things.

Although it IS obviously a Deus Ex Forum, we need to show others abroad that we talk about much more than just Deus Ex.

We need funny, ridiculous pictures to advertise... For the smarter mind though. As making "ordinary/general funny internetz" garbage is only going to attract reddit retards (and 12 year olds).

Even showing our threads (for any reason in reference) to many others who have no idea what this site is (or even what Deus Ex is) will help.

I know what I'm about to say might sound retarded.. but we need our awesome signatures back. When you visit a forum... let's be real here, we are all attracted in some way shape, or form to the signatures, and helps improve our experience when visiting a website, as you get to learn the personality of others almost instantly why the picture/slogan below their posts.

I know we're all trying to be modest here with our new sigs, but...

Also, I think the skins are fine. Just because someone has the most amazing skins in the world on their forum doesn't mean the forum is going to be fun.

As it stands, we're all used to grey, and the white theme is quite vibrant to look at, and easy to navigate through for new users.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Dec 26, 11 7:11 am

Aidan wrote:I know what I'm about to say might sound retarded.. but we need our awesome signatures back. When you visit a forum... let's be real here, we are all attracted in some way shape, or form to the signatures

Minimalist signatures are the new cool on most sites.

At the end of the day this forum was still originally about a game pretty much no forum poster is even playing anymore, the fact it still does quite well, even in comparision to my Gmod server forums and the like is a testament (quite a lot to jay) to the forums!

I still want people other than me to post. :)
Last edited by James on Mon Dec 26, 11 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Forum World Cat » Mon Dec 26, 11 7:24 am

Don't mind if I quote this post I made yesterday... :3

Forum World Cat wrote:Good evening alpha forums and the other Deus Ex Multiplayer communities,

Firstly; I'd like to wish you all a Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays for whomever you are and believe.

Now let me get to the point, these forums are slowly creeping into inactivity, there are some bursts of life from time to time but interest decreases as days go by.
I'm going to ask a favor: post more. Post about what you like, post about how you feel, unchained criticism, post stuff you think people might not like, post stuff trying to get people to like it, post things you don't like, share the news, anything. Just keep posting anything here. But more importantly, get on with one another.

I've been observing these forums for the past 8 years or so, when it reaches 10 I want to see this place grow (even just a little) and be much more active than it is today. Remind people we exist, people who play DXMP and those who don't anymore, and post here. I mean, aside from some people - what is the problem?

All the best,
Forum World Cat
F.W.C
Forum World Cat
Wannabe

Postby Shinobi » Mon Dec 26, 11 12:55 pm

That IS dae, right?? Still a tad confused....

Umm.... btw Reddit retards?? Reddit primary audience is thirtysomething professional males lol... according to shitipedia.

But yeah - this forum is about much more than Deus Ex. Hell maybe a bit of a redesign and shift in focus away from Deus Ex may be the kick it needs? Small changes. Lose "we fight for Deus Ex", change keywords and SEO stuff, update site info on google webmaster tools etc.

The alpha logo on landing page where website used to be doesn't really scream "this is a forum about a dead old game" so it could be the type of style thaty would work.

"alpha" general discussion forum... doesn't sound too far-fetched, less-specific sites have become popular. The smallish member base (well, active member base) is more than enough to carry the site forward into a "new generation".... obviously this ain't my forum so the direction it goes in is up to you guys but I think steering slightly away from deus ex and games will be fine.

An example of a forum which does very VERY well (although not financially) is www.drugs-forum.com which started off a bit like bluelight.ru and sorta grew. I myself run a group about movies and the film industry, there are many many people on there covering a broad spectrum of users.

Anyway too much coffee again and I'm rambling. I'll do my best to improve post quality and tell potentially interested friends about this site. Hell I might even get some of 'em playing DXMP but that's another story lol.
Shinobi
Master

Postby or 1=1 » Mon Dec 26, 11 1:06 pm

More like this forum needs a new purpose
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby ~DJ~ » Mon Dec 26, 11 3:29 pm

Oh sure, also remove the 'DX' from DXAlpha right...
Last edited by ~DJ~ on Mon Dec 26, 11 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Poor » Mon Dec 26, 11 8:04 pm

Hi. I am a lurker who checks for DXMP related stuff but I do have experience on what this site is going through. I have been a part of a game forum that died a slow and painful death when interest in the particular game died. In the time prior to its death, the staff and the few regular members desperately tried to bring the site back to glory by broadening its subject of interest. The site went from thesocomhackers to tshcodes (game hacking in general) to unigaming. Despite their efforts, they failed. I've seen the same thing happen to similar sites. I've learned that it is impossible to change a forum's purpose. You can't assign a new purpose because communities aren't built that way. You can start a new community but you can't convert an old one to a new one. You can't expect the staff and regular members to be genuinely interested in the new purpose. Without that support, the site has no chance of growing. Also, broadening the subject to say "games/tech in general" does not work because there are already many established sites in that area that are much more appealing.

The future of this site is this: Members will remain here to chat with familiar faces but eventually they will stop visiting as often or will stop visiting altogether. The community will continue to fade away until it's completely dead or the plug is pulled, whichever comes first. Don't fight it, just accept it.

Oh yeah, Happy Holidays!
Poor
Poster

Postby James » Mon Dec 26, 11 8:37 pm

I'll fight it. Deus Ex is bigger than ever, I've been waiting for a something something to be finished here - but we're busy.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ~DJ~ » Mon Dec 26, 11 9:00 pm

DX isn't dead.. ALL TO FGS CHRISTMAS MOD SERVER NOW!
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby ynnaD » Mon Dec 26, 11 9:22 pm

~DJ~ wrote:DX isn't dead.. ALL TO FGS CHRISTMAS MOD SERVER NOW!

It might not be dead but it's not what it used to be, which is a shame but to be expected, then again, it is what we make of it.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 27, 11 6:48 am

Poor wrote:Hi. I am a lurker who checks for DXMP related stuff but I do have experience on what this site is going through. I have been a part of a game forum that died a slow and painful death when interest in the particular game died. In the time prior to its death, the staff and the few regular members desperately tried to bring the site back to glory by broadening its subject of interest. The site went from thesocomhackers to tshcodes (game hacking in general) to unigaming. Despite their efforts, they failed. I've seen the same thing happen to similar sites. I've learned that it is impossible to change a forum's purpose. You can't assign a new purpose because communities aren't built that way. You can start a new community but you can't convert an old one to a new one. You can't expect the staff and regular members to be genuinely interested in the new purpose. Without that support, the site has no chance of growing. Also, broadening the subject to say "games/tech in general" does not work because there are already many established sites in that area that are much more appealing.

The future of this site is this: Members will remain here to chat with familiar faces but eventually they will stop visiting as often or will stop visiting altogether. The community will continue to fade away until it's completely dead or the plug is pulled, whichever comes first. Don't fight it, just accept it.

Oh yeah, Happy Holidays!

Fuck that. I'm here for life. I grew up here. You guys are a family to me.

Who else agrees?
Last edited by Aidan on Tue Dec 27, 11 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Tue Dec 27, 11 7:04 am

Oh. DXMP is pretty much dead. DX is bigger than before tho
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Site and forum questions