Analogies

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Analogies

Postby Siva » Sun Apr 22, 12 6:43 pm

I use them a lot.

I've been thinking today that if you have to use an analogy to get your point across then your point isn't significant in the first place, or you're debating with the wrong people.

I tend to use them just because it's a fun exercise divining an analogy from my head. But truthfully they have no place in a serious debate.

What do you think?
//..
User avatar
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people
 
Posts: 6756
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:56 pm

Postby Psychotic » Sun Apr 22, 12 6:56 pm

I tend to use them a lot myself and generally only because I find it difficult to explain myself otherwise.

Why do you think they detract from your point or believe they have no serious place in a debate? I don't see a big issue with analogies as long as they're relevant to the discussion. Plenty of debates across the world have started, ended and had many an analogy in the span of their discussions.

Comparing apples to oranges is, I believe, where the problems can start arising with analogies. Analogies are easy to use and they're easy to be used as a means of helping to explain your point but it's also easy to misuse an analogy to the point where you are, as the saying goes, comparing apples to oranges.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Siva » Sun Apr 22, 12 8:30 pm

Magniir wrote:Why do you think they detract from your point or believe they have no serious place in a debate?


It's as though when I someone uses an analogy toward me they are assuming I am too stupid to figure out what they have to say, so they have to translate it so I can understand it. If you're writing an article about oh let's say abiogenisis, then sure -- go ahead an use an analogy or two, makes it easier to digest. But if you're debating someone then shouldn't they be on the same level you are? If they ask for clarification, then I suppose there's nothing wrong with using an analogy there in concert with an actual explanation of your point.
//..
User avatar
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people
 
Posts: 6756
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:56 pm

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 23, 12 12:09 am

My brother uses them quite often in relation to past historical events. Works lovely; but he's going through school to be a historian, so he knows quite a lot about history to make relations.
User avatar
Aidan
CandyMan
 
Posts: 6267
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 06 8:57 am
Location: The Great White North

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 23, 12 1:30 am

I need an anology to understand this discussion.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
User avatar
Hanover Fist
Master
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:32 am
Location: Cali

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 23, 12 1:54 am

Protocol wrote:
Magniir wrote:Why do you think they detract from your point or believe they have no serious place in a debate?


It's as though when I someone uses an analogy toward me they are assuming I am too stupid to figure out what they have to say, so they have to translate it so I can understand it. If you're writing an article about oh let's say abiogenisis, then sure -- go ahead an use an analogy or two, makes it easier to digest. But if you're debating someone then shouldn't they be on the same level you are? If they ask for clarification, then I suppose there's nothing wrong with using an analogy there in concert with an actual explanation of your point.


So you're saying they may not detract from one's point, but the person using them may be unconsciously implying that they are of superior intelligence to their opponents?

Personally, I find that those who tend to use analogies often probably have a hard time explaining themselves, as opposed to thinking their opposition is too stupid to figure out the explanation for themselves. This is why I use analogies.

I don't think my opponents are stupid (at least not all of them), I use them for the same reason my posts tend to be long-winded: I find it difficult to explain myself with words alone. I use analogies as a way to add a sense of imagery to my explanations so that I can literally imagine what I'm describing as opposed to simply retelling it. You'll find many creatives (designer, artists, etc) work better with images than with words, for obvious reasons, and this may be one reason why we use analogies more often than what someone else might.

I simply believe that if I find it hard to understand my own post then I don't see how somebody else of equal intelligence is going to find it any easier. This is the foolish assumption I make in most debates I walk into.

On a slightly related, slightly unrelated note: You need to make more topics like these. For me at least, they provoke thought and I find them rather engaging. The entire Rants & Debates board is honestly something I'd love to make an entire forum out of, simply because I like to debate.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Apr 23, 12 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 23, 12 2:28 am

You may find it patronizing, but like the use of hyperbole, imagery, simile, metaphor, it's just a way to communicate through illustrating a point in however way is most clarifying.

Those who rely on it might be limited in their ability to explain themselves, but in moderation it is a tool, in excess it's a crutch.

This is really a poor debate.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Mon Apr 23, 12 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
User avatar
Hanover Fist
Master
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:32 am
Location: Cali

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 23, 12 3:28 am

RECLAIMER wrote:You may find it patronizing, but like the use of hyperbole, imagery, simile, metaphor, it's just a way to communicate through illustrating a point in however way is most clarifying.

Those who rely on it might be limited in their ability to explain themselves, but in moderation it is a tool, in excess it's a crutch.

This is really a poor debate.


I think it's more a rant than a debate.

You remind me of me, when I was your age.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Apr 23, 12 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 23, 12 4:29 am

Now that's just condescending. Or an awkward attempt at a compliment.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Mon Apr 23, 12 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
User avatar
Hanover Fist
Master
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:32 am
Location: Cali

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 23, 12 4:52 am

Magniir wrote:
RECLAIMER wrote:You may find it patronizing, but like the use of hyperbole, imagery, simile, metaphor, it's just a way to communicate through illustrating a point in however way is most clarifying.

Those who rely on it might be limited in their ability to explain themselves, but in moderation it is a tool, in excess it's a crutch.

This is really a poor debate.


I think it's more a rant than a debate.

You remind me of me, when I was your age.


That's like riding a bike without wheels.
User avatar
Aidan
CandyMan
 
Posts: 6267
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 06 8:57 am
Location: The Great White North

Postby Siva » Mon Apr 23, 12 5:03 am

Aidan wrote:
Magniir wrote:
RECLAIMER wrote:You may find it patronizing, but like the use of hyperbole, imagery, simile, metaphor, it's just a way to communicate through illustrating a point in however way is most clarifying.

Those who rely on it might be limited in their ability to explain themselves, but in moderation it is a tool, in excess it's a crutch.

This is really a poor debate.


I think it's more a rant than a debate.

You remind me of me, when I was your age.


That's like riding a bike without wheels.


Image
//..
User avatar
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people
 
Posts: 6756
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:56 pm

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 23, 12 5:33 am

RECLAIMER wrote:Now that's just condescending. Or an awkward attempt at a compliment.


Condescending, considering the fact I was born in the mid-17's. 1700s, that is.

Why? Because like Protocol in his original post you lead me wondering "Why?". You claim it can be used as means to explain oneself, which I agree with, but you don't even explain why you think this.

Saying this is a poor debate is one thing but frankly, I could care less what your opinion is when you don't tell us why it's a poor debate. It's much like non-constructive criticism: Great, you dislike my work, but if you're not going to help me improve with some proper feedback then really, you can just get the hell out.

[e] I consider this a poor debate as it stands not because the subject matter is bad but because people aren't explaining why they think what they do. Perhaps you should use more analogies? :P

[e2] I'm going back on what I said. I don't think your entire post is a waste of time, I just think that saying this topic is a "poor debate" without explaining why is.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Apr 23, 12 5:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 23, 12 7:13 am

My posts are so tight they not only are their own anologies they require no explanation. My inane speak is gospel to rant and debate section. My only citation is every post I ever dropped, and already that's more than substantial.

Logic is invalid to my infallibility and I am da cheese unto your muthafuckin omelette, SON.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Mon Apr 23, 12 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
User avatar
Hanover Fist
Master
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:32 am
Location: Cali

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 23, 12 8:46 am

So basically, you're a troll.

Alright, well now I know who to ignore from now on.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Mastakilla » Mon Apr 23, 12 9:17 pm

He's a bit loco
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
User avatar
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 05 7:47 pm

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 23, 12 9:53 pm

I just dont like people.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
User avatar
Hanover Fist
Master
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:32 am
Location: Cali

Postby James » Mon Apr 23, 12 9:56 pm

I like you like a fat kid wants to lose weight.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28882
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 23, 12 10:23 pm

Protocol wrote:
Aidan wrote:
Magniir wrote:
RECLAIMER wrote:You may find it patronizing, but like the use of hyperbole, imagery, simile, metaphor, it's just a way to communicate through illustrating a point in however way is most clarifying.

Those who rely on it might be limited in their ability to explain themselves, but in moderation it is a tool, in excess it's a crutch.

This is really a poor debate.


I think it's more a rant than a debate.

You remind me of me, when I was your age.


That's like riding a bike without wheels.


Image


This argument is like a building without support beams;

an expression without a face;

A HORSE'S FAVORITE FAN

Image
User avatar
Aidan
CandyMan
 
Posts: 6267
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 06 8:57 am
Location: The Great White North

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 23, 12 11:48 pm

Finally. I was beginning to think everyone knew analogies like their girls know an orgasm.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
User avatar
Hanover Fist
Master
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:32 am
Location: Cali

Postby Siva » Tue Apr 24, 12 12:38 am

Aidan wrote:
Protocol wrote:
Aidan wrote:
Magniir wrote:
RECLAIMER wrote:You may find it patronizing, but like the use of hyperbole, imagery, simile, metaphor, it's just a way to communicate through illustrating a point in however way is most clarifying.

Those who rely on it might be limited in their ability to explain themselves, but in moderation it is a tool, in excess it's a crutch.

This is really a poor debate.


I think it's more a rant than a debate.

You remind me of me, when I was your age.


That's like riding a bike without wheels.


Image


This argument is like a building without support beams;

an expression without a face;

A HORSE'S FAVORITE FAN

Image


Image
//..
User avatar
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people
 
Posts: 6756
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:56 pm

Postby Psychotic » Tue Apr 24, 12 12:59 am

This topic has gone completely off the tracks, much like this:

Image
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby ynnaD » Tue Apr 24, 12 9:30 am

This topic is like a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.

:oops:
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
User avatar
ynnaD
Forum Legend
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 04 8:43 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby James » Sat Apr 28, 12 7:25 am

Thread of the month.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28882
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home


Return to Rants & Debates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests