Deus Ex 4...?

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Deus Ex 4...?

Postby Tantalus » Sun Jun 24, 12 10:50 pm

As we all know, Human Revolution sold bloody well for an under-advertised prequel to an old franchise (>2.2 million copies is not to be scoffed at). Recently, Eidos Montreal has been advertising development jobs for an 'open-world' sequel to a highly acclaimed franchise for the next generation of consoles. Now I'm not going to suggest that this indicates Deus Ex, it could equally suggest expansion to develop Thi4f. However, Eidos Montreal announced that a while back, so they wouldn't be so hush-hush about it in a job description.

Question is, if they did make Deus Ex 4, what would it be about?

Personally, I would like to see fleshing-out of Paul's story when he worked with Anna Navarre in Germany. Perhaps linking Paul with Adam in some way, but before he got Paul got his augs...? That would be a weird spin on things.

Alternatively, they could play it like a run-through of his life; starting without augs and then skipping to 2050 when he starts in UNATCO.

What are your thoughts on this?
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Sun Jun 24, 12 11:13 pm

Square Enix want to turn Deus Ex into the next Final Fantasy, apparently.

I don't have an issue with that so long as each new game is great, something I don't feel with most sequels, regardless how many there are in the series.

I would personally like to see more with Paul Denton, too. I'd also like a remake of the second game.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Sun Jun 24, 12 11:45 pm

edit: It is quite obvious DX4 is in pre-production. The exact same team behind it are working on another project together and constantly talking about brain storm meetings for the last few months.

Eidos Montreal know it is perfectly logical to continue nothing too far off into the future (Paul and UNATCO, besides there is barely anything to talk about that isn't simply side story material) and go forward another 20 years as they did in 2007 with DX3.

At an unknown time between 2031 and 2035 Majestic 12 executes a coup against the Illuminati.

That's all that needs to be said, there's tons of gaps here too, the US is falling into a deep recession. There's also important events scattered like the murder of Paul's parents (technically also JC's, but he's a clone lol)

I don't want any perspectives of previous Deus Ex characters.

More importantly:
23:47 - Bosscelot: when will rb get his moonbase
Last edited by James on Sun Jun 24, 12 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Mon Jun 25, 12 7:27 am

Imagine if you played Walton Simons or something.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Mon Jun 25, 12 7:30 am

Tantalus wrote:Imagine if you played Walton Simons or something.

Whenever I see "Walton Simons," I think of Samuel L. Jackson; because they're pretty much the same thing.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Jun 25, 12 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Jun 25, 12 7:53 am

Tantalus wrote:Imagine if you played Walton Simons or something.

It's a character who we already know. Plus he would not be augmented until the recent events of DX1. There's already tons of characters in this continunity that Eidos Montreal have expanded on, including Gunther Hermann directly working for MJ12.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon Jun 25, 12 9:01 am

I want more on Bob Page and the events that transpired up to and during when MJ12 went rogue.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Gishank » Mon Jun 25, 12 9:07 am

I would love to see more games in the Deus Ex 'series' as long as each new game is true to the others and doesn't stray. Storywise I'd love to actually see a game set between Deus Ex 1 and 2, showing what JC Denton caused and how society reacted to it (or perhaps a parrellel universe aka new version of DX:IW? D:)
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Mon Jun 25, 12 10:07 am

I honestly think it'd be best to just redo DX2 and make a very definitive decision on which path they wish to take, rather than trying to incorporate all three original endings into one, creating a plot with so many holes in it.

Any of the three could work but I'd be most interested in seeing the results of the Dark Age scenario, the other two would be more of a "shit went wrong" type scenario more than anything, whereas the Dark Age one is "shit gone wrong" from the beginning.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Mon Jun 25, 12 1:41 pm

I think they should leave JC Denton and co. alone. They didn't create that period, and they can reference it all they like, but if they create anything new in that based in that time then it will make DX1 look like a dinosaur. DX:HR already looks more futuristic than DX1 and canonically the latter is 20+ years after the former. (VTOLs came before Helichoppas? wat)
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Mon Jun 25, 12 2:05 pm

Guys please start understanding the 20 years philosophy, DX and DXIW outrageously inaccurate. Post modernism of DXHR comparable to MGS.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Cozmo » Mon Jun 25, 12 5:44 pm

I wouldn't mind a sequel to IW's Illuminati ending... :]
Cozmo
Master

Postby clyzm » Mon Jun 25, 12 6:30 pm

If they make a Deus Ex 4

I hope it is set between the events of DX 1 and DX 2
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Mon Jun 25, 12 7:27 pm

I honestly don't see what they could do for that period, or who the story could follow.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Mon Jun 25, 12 10:01 pm

Well

The end of Deus Ex was all about the collapse of the old government

Perhaps a sequel can establish how society adapts and rebuilds and takes a hold of that power vacuum left behind by MJ12

I dunno man but I want a true sequel
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Mon Jun 25, 12 10:36 pm

Trouble is, there are no significant 'players' during that period, and none that can be really introduced without weirding up the plot with specious links to IW (see: The Force Unleashed protagonist).

There's always a concern of pissing off the original game's fanbase by infringing on the original series' events. Doing a sequel to HR makes sense in these aspects.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Mon Jun 25, 12 10:44 pm

Hello everyone, I am from the future...

EA has bought Eidos. The PC version of DX4 was a crappy port by Techland, in which will be exclusive to Origin. Don't worry though!! There's a lot of DRM!

I'm sorry.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 26, 12 12:17 am

James wrote:Guys please start understanding the 20 years philosophy, DX and DXIW outrageously inaccurate. Post modernism of DXHR comparable to MGS.

"DX and DXIW outrageously inaccurate."

In comparison to what? Real life? Are you honestly sitting here trying to compare a fictional game to real life? Really?

A Deus Ex game shouldn't be accurate in regards to reality, it should be accurate in regards to the fictional world the writers created for the original game.
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Tue Jun 26, 12 12:39 am

Tantalus wrote:Trouble is, there are no significant 'players' during that period, and none that can be really introduced without weirding up the plot with specious links to IW (see: The Force Unleashed protagonist).

There's always a concern of pissing off the original game's fanbase by infringing on the original series' events. Doing a sequel to HR makes sense in these aspects.

Well I can think of a couple of significant players

How about JC

I mean if it's going to be a sequel to DXHR then they should call it DX:HR2

But if they're making Deus Ex 4 that implies chronology, I want to see what happens next in the Deus Ex universe after JC, I want a conclusive last chapter, no more prequels, no more setting up the events that transpire in the original game
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Jun 26, 12 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 26, 12 12:49 am

clyzm wrote:But if they're making Deus Ex 4 that implies chronology, I want to see what happens next in the Deus Ex universe after JC, I want a conclusive last chapter, no more prequels, no more setting up the events that transpire in the original game

I think they aren't creating a sequel at the moment due to how fragile the multi-ending situation is. They would have to decide on an ACTUAL ending.

OR...

Design the game to leave off with what ending you had chosen in the fist game (give you three choices in the beginning).
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Tue Jun 26, 12 1:02 am

Look I know this idea seems outrageous

And the attempts from other previous franchises have mostly failed to make a sequel to an RPG game that retains original choices from the first (such as the ME series and shit from the 2nd game being brought up in the 3rd like it was nothing)

But picture this

The next Deus Ex is going to be open world

3 separate, radically different main plot lines that correspond to the choice you made in the first game

Each one with intricate 30+ hour gameplay, about the same as the plotline of DXHR

Missions could intersperse because ideally, no matter what option you chose, you will be faced with some of the same challenges in rebuilding and reforming society (like taking care of MJ12 remnants)

This all culminating in a game with multiple, complex, overarching story lines, open environment, RPG elements and classic gameplay choices from the first Deus Ex

Truly it would be a masterpiece of a game that would serve as a decisive final punctuation of the long sentence that the first Deus Ex began writing

But this is but a fool's dream think nothing of it
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Jun 26, 12 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Tue Jun 26, 12 6:07 am

Magniir wrote:
"DX and DXIW outrageously inaccurate."

In comparison to what? Real life? Are you honestly sitting here trying to compare a fictional game to real life? Really?

A Deus Ex game shouldn't be accurate in regards to reality, it should be accurate in regards to the fictional world the writers created for the original game.

Warren and Harvey agreed (especially in the case of Invisible War) that designing a world 50 and 70 years from now is a risky and far too unpredictable thing to do. Don't bother them about it (or their fat TVs and VCRs), stuff we seen in DX and DXIW we've already replaced.

Eidos Montreal took an approach with 2027 from 2007 by carefully improving on what we have today, especially in the case of real life augmentation technology. Sure there's insane bullshit sci-fi there (neuropozyne, Hengsha) but that's part of the fiction, at least it has a safer chance to be predictable to be technologically similar as time goes by.

And because of that, please give up on the idea of a post-DX1 game for a long time.

I can safely say that Hong Kong will be an area developed for DX4, this is surely not unfounded speculation. Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (EM Creative Director of Deus Ex: Human Revolution) has been traveling the world lately, partially I assume for holiday reasons, but Hong Kong had a lot of public photographs on JJB's tumblr of the urban and semi-rural areas, even more of what you'll normally take if you were touring the entire city.

I uploaded the pictures so you don't have to go through tumblr's awful design:
http://imgur.com/a/MVd8t#0

I mean if it's going to be a sequel to DXHR then they should call it DX:HR2

But if they're making Deus Ex 4 that implies chronology

Deus Ex: [Sub-title], we know numberical titles are merely production names for the DX series now, and that is fine.
Last edited by James on Tue Jun 26, 12 6:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue Jun 26, 12 6:53 am

clyzm wrote:3 separate, radically different main plot lines that correspond to the choice you made in the first game

Each one with intricate 30+ hour gameplay, about the same as the plotline of DXHR

You lost your mind, Derek

I'm worried about you, babe.
//..
Siva

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 26, 12 10:33 am

I actually like clyzm's idea, too bad it'll never happen in my lifetime.
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Tue Jun 26, 12 7:52 pm

Well

If it's one thing I wanna see in the next Deus Ex game

It's multiplayer

Realtalk
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Tue Jun 26, 12 8:58 pm

I don't think another DX multi-player should be discussed or attempted at all until after the videogame is produced. I wouldn't want another single-player DX experience delayed or tainted in any way due to a risky addition.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Tue Jun 26, 12 9:45 pm

If anything, DXHR has huge potential for multiplayer ala Rainbow Six Vegas (god I loved that game's multiplayer).

Hong Kong may lead into Paul, sorry to keep going back to that - previous mission before Liberty Island in 1.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Tue Jun 26, 12 10:01 pm

I guarantee there will be no 2050s Deus Ex game unless it is a remake. Also, there's really not much to tell about Hong Kong and Paul except the same thing JC goes for in DX1, it is quite frankly the same except when he met with Tong he went back to the US and met with terrorist groups.
Last edited by James on Tue Jun 26, 12 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Fri Jun 29, 12 8:45 am

clyzm wrote:Well

If it's one thing I wanna see in the next Deus Ex game

It's multiplayer

Realtalk

dis

There won't be mod support this time because I am doubtful Squeenix can into such a thing, so they have to get it right from the getgo, meaning it has to come shipped with it rather than a half assed patch just adding features which already sat dormant in the engine
//..
Siva

Postby James » Fri Jun 29, 12 9:32 am

Mod support wasn't provided because the engine is very dumb far too complex for what it can actually do. Plus it wasn't up to Eidosmontreal Montreal or Nixxies to release an SDK

My memory on above is Rusty/mobile phone. Alex can put in better works. we spent a good two-three days stalking staff
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Next

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution